Should parents attend Bama Bound?

<p>I wanted to know if I should attend Bama Bound with my DD? Should I opt to stay in the dorm or just get a hotel room? If I opt for a dorm room will it be near my daughter?</p>

<p>There didn’t seem to be much overlap between parents/kids at BamaBound, but there is a wealth of parents’ info that I gained from being there. I stayed in a hotel. If she needs to go alone it is very doable.</p>

<p>Thank you again AL34. I would like to be there with her.</p>

<p>My older son wanted me to go, so I did. My younger son wanted to go by himself…which was fine with me since it would just be a big repeat.</p>

<p>There are times that parents and kids are together…and times that they’re not.</p>

<p>If you went to UDays or CSDay, I really don’t think it’s necessary to go to Bama Bound as a parent.</p>

<p>The dorm is an option for the parents as well? I didn’t even look into it. I would imagine that would save about $100 per night on hotels. Maybe I will reconsider if I could find a decent flight and I’m still not working. I didn’t go to any of the days. I just went on the one visit/tour in June.</p>

<p>My DH sent me since I didn’t do the initial campus visit. I loved it, I enjoyed the parent information sessions and being able to go over what DS was doing on those moments we saw each other. I did stay in the dorms especially since DH wasn’t with me and met a couple of nice mom “roomies”. I do know there were couples who also opted to stay in the dorms. Also a great opportunity to measure out the rooms for reference, my S is in a different housing but basically they’re the same and I had a nice visual/spacial perspective.</p>

<p>Thank you for the information. We signed up for Bama Bound and I will be staying in the dorm too. It was $38 per night. We opted to come a day early. Anyone else sign up yet?</p>

<p>^^^^We are signed up for the May31st to June1st session. I’m not staying in the dorm, though. I have enough trouble getting to sleep in my own bed at home! DD signed me up for the parent orientation. Sigh.</p>

<p>Hi Juniebug! We signed up for the June 2-3 BB. We will arrive June 1 and stay in the dorms. It should be fun. </p>

<p>I will be bringing my tape measure to measure the window and dorm dimensions. My DD likes to sleep in a very dark room. So she wants to figure out some sort of curtain arrangement for when she moves in the dorms in August.</p>

<p>Hi Juniebug… we’re (DS for Bama Bound and DD for sibling orientation and parents too) signed up for the 31/1 Bama Bound as well. My wife hasn’t seen the campus yet and she is very excited for the trip! </p>

<p>DS is staying on campus both the 30th and 31st but the rest of us will stay off campus. Still looking for airfare too… nothing to great on that front yet.</p>

<p>Scott</p>

<p>Cuttlefish: one thing somebody mentioned last year was that UA does not allow you to put nails, screws, etc. in the walls. They pointed out a curtain rod that is nicer than a tension rod. We ended up getting one & it has worked well. Here’s an example: [Levolor®</a> Decorative Twist N Fit Rod (7004244448) - Curtain Rods - Ace Hardware](<a href=“Ace Hardware | The Helpful Place - Ace Hardware”>Ace Hardware | The Helpful Place - Ace Hardware)</p>

<p>oohhhh…I like this…I could use one of these!</p>

<p>Wow! RobD, thanks so much for the link. The curtain rod is so pretty. </p>

<p>Everyone on this forum is so nice and helpful.</p>

<p>Cuttlefish123: If you need that room-darkening curtain, try Wal-Mart. I got one for my son (yes, it’s a crimson-like shade) for $12. It’s lightweight but does the job. When my son and I went to Bama Bound in June 2009, I, too, brought the tape measure. I had gotten an e-mail from a mom in Michigan who had forgotten to measure the height and width of the closet.</p>

<p>“oohhhh…I like this…I could use one of these!”</p>

<p>LOL, I was thinking the same thing. If I’d discovered these things sooner, my walls wouldn’t look like Swiss cheese!</p>

<p>Wow, I hadn’t even thought about curtain rods. Note to self to bring a measuring tape.</p>

<p>Cruisefan, we haven’t booked a flight yet either. The only direct flight from Philadelphia is late at night. Haven’t decided if it’s worth it to drive down to Baltimore for a non-stop. I can’t imagine ever doing that drive again! I’m not crazy about flying, but DH did the CSD, so I figure it’s my turn. We can’t all go because of the cat and dog. Mostly the dog.</p>

<p>Thank you momreads for the info on the room-darkening crimson curtain. It sounds perfect.</p>

<p>Last year I bought a crimson comforter, just because it was on super sale. Now DD can take it to Bama. She is so excited to UA and is looking forward to decorating her room in Bama colors.</p>

<p>One thing we did as an OOS parent at Bama Bound…</p>

<p>We set up Ds checking/savings account at Alabama Credit Union.</p>

<p>Since we live in Ohio there are no banks that are in Tuscaloosa and in our area. At the ACU we can deposit to a credit union in Ohio (which we do not belong to) and in is direct to ACU. It has worked out well, I can make small deposits when needed. </p>

<p>We have always kept the account a bit low which came in handy this weekend when someone picked my Ds (and a few other girls) wallet while she was at a fraternity formal in New Orleans. She cancelled debit that day and handled everything else so to date she is out her cash and the replacement fee for her ACT card.</p>

<p>Omama! So sorry to hear about your D’s theft. Good that she didn’t “lose” much but still a bad thing to experience.</p>

<p>Since we’re talking about what parent’s can do at Bama Bound: we set up D’s post office box then. She could have done it on her own but I was there & the “wallet” so it was one more thing we crossed off the list.</p>

<p>juniebug: We have friends who live in Lancaster, PA and have a son at UA. They make the drive to BWI for the non-stop flight to BHM. I have done it from rural Virginia – for me, it’s a little more than two hours but definitely worth the convenience.</p>

<p>I remember my son putting money on his Bama Cash account while we were there. We also turned in all his paperwork to the Student Health Center, which had its reps in the Ferg.</p>