Should son switch to ED2 (or even RD) from ED1 before decision day, and can he?

Yes. EFC $0 based on 2021 tax return. Went to work earning more since then beginning in January, 2022. Just lost my job 2 weeks ago. So, zero current income. I cannot even collect unemployment (275/week) because I haven’t been working long enough due to caring for a disabled child for many years

I hope you call BU this morning and ask if your son can switch to ED2 as it is no longer his first choice. He should call, although I understand if he’s still in school that could be difficult. Otherwise, he could be stuck at a school that he doesn’t want to go to, all for a potential (but highly unlikely in my view) benefit for another child. If anything, I would think a distinction between twins would be helpful and might increase chances for both. And if they ask why, he can just say he has a scholarship opportunity that requires he move his application.

2 Likes

I don’t think this should be his reason. He simply should say he wants to change to ED2 or RD.

2 Likes

As a parent of a student at BU I can assure you they don’t have the manpower.

2 Likes

This is contradictory. ED, regardless of ED1 or ED2 IS first choice. Saying it’s not his first choice is, IMO, a great way to get rejected. ED is for people who want to attend that school above all others. It’s not for people to wait and see if they get rejected elsewhere ED or ED1. Maybe that’s what students think, but that is not why colleges created ED2.

If the OP’s son switches, don’t give explanation as. Just stick to the facts. Please switch the app to ED2, or RD. Keep it simple.

13 Likes

OP - Please let us know if your S was able to switch out of ED1 at this late date.

1 Like

I didn’t mean that he would tell BU it was not his first choice. Just that ED 1 should only be for applicants where it is their first choice. Right now it is not his first choice, but maybe after December 15 it will be which makes ED2 appropriate. And if he gets good news on December 15, he can then just withdraw the ED2 app.

Maybe I misunderstood what is going on here, but I thought the potential scholarship at FSU was the reason for change. It seems pretty innocuous and I wouldn’t think it would hurt the applicant. What would you suggest the response is if the admissions officer asks why he wants to switch to ED2?

1 Like

I doubt they would ask. If they did, the OP can just say the family needs more time to consider finances.

5 Likes

He changed his mind many times before deciding to go ED1 @ BU and was settled with his choice. It’s been months. Now he suddenly panicked. It happens. Kids change their minds. Heck, adults change their minds. And a 17 year old does not fully comprehend the concept of thinking far into the future when making decisions They just don’t. His anxiety is getting the best of him as sits and waits for decision day. I am giving grace to my kid who made the best decision at the time. I have never said that he would reneg! I fully understand how ED works. I am asking about whether he should or if he if still can switch to either ED2 or RD. And, actually, he can just decide he doesn’t want to attend BU after all. Are you planning to force him to go as his first choice now? Because I am not.

Reneging on an ED admission is possible but does have ramifications, one to the high school, the other perhaps to your family and both of your students. Other colleges may be contacted and withdrawal acceptances. I think all on this thread have answered your question - yes he should move to ED 2 if he can. Only way to know if he can is to call BU and ask.

4 Likes

Better yet may be to opt out of ED altogether and move to RD (since he is so panicked and already has the FSU admission ).

2 Likes

The reason for change is not potential scholarship at FSU, it is the desire for FSU to be his #1 choice, suddenly, and BU his #2 choice. If he gets into FSU, money won’t be an issue as he can live at home and he already has 100% tuition paid for all 4 years on a FL Bright Futures scholarship, plus max pell grant, etc. He really does want BU, just suddenly decided he wants FSU more if he gets in. He’s a teenager, so, I’m not upset, just trying to help him fix this.

2 Likes

That appears to be the plan. The issue comes down to timing (is it too late?) and impact to the other son who wants to retain his ED1 application status and is counting on having his need met.

We need to see if the OP’s son is successful in changing from ED1 to ED2 or RD. The OP is not intending to have her son renege, as she keeps reminding us.

1 Like

He does not have FSU admission yet. It will be announced on 12/15. Same day as BU ED1. That’s why I need to switch him to ED2.

UPDATE:
I have been calling BU all day and getting a busy signal for the admissions department. Perhaps I am not the only one calling with the same last minute ask. I am trying to move him to ED2. He can’t because of school and work. I will keep at it. I hope it’s not too late, and there is a chance it won’t matter if that happens because he may not get into FSU, and, he may not get into BU. Thank you all for your input. I hope next time I have a question because of an unforeseeable situation such as this, that people are less judgmental. My kid is just a kid and anxiety happens. He will definitely not reneg, although many of you posted alot about how wrong we are for doing that. There’s a lot of anger on this thread.
I wish you all a peaceful holiday season.

2 Likes

Agree the issue is timing. Did your son (and/or the guidance counselor) contact BU this morning? Was there a response?

The legitimate reason to decline an ED acceptance would be if finances were an issue and IMO it would be hard to argue that finances work for one twin and not the other.

Agree that nobody will force your S to attend BU even if he is accepted ED with a full ride. But declining such an offer could reflect poorly on his HS and guidance counselor and put future seniors at his HS at a disadvantage.

2 Likes

Please cite your source for these statements. I see this sometimes here in CC, but have never seen any evidence, nor ever heard an AO or ex-AO say they have done any of these things. It would be unethical for an AO to punish current and/future applicants who had nothing to do with a student reneging on an ED acceptance.

1 Like

Our HS guidance dept. impressed this on students/parents considering ED.

1 Like

I know that some HS GCs say these things, but again I have never heard of any consequences being administered to other students at a HS (or the HS) for a student reneging on ED. ED is not a legally binding contract, and colleges tend not to want students there who don’t want to be there. There are many HS GCs who don’t know college admissions unfortunately…there was one posting here on CC recently who thought a student who applied ED couldn’t apply anywhere else (at least until they had received the ED decision).

2 Likes

That would be unfortunate, but my son is just a kid who changed his mind due to anxiety he puts on himself and it isn’t really fair for a school to hold it against others. That’s just wrong, IMO. Yes, it has become a timing issue that I am trying to resolve, but can’t get through. And, each twin has their own financial resources, so, finances are a legitimate reason for one to decline and not the other, feasibly. I am contributing zero to their college endeavor. They go if they can afford to get themselves there. That’s our situation. One has more money and resources than the other. Different kids. My ability to pay is not part of the equation since I cannot.