Should son switch to ED2 (or even RD) from ED1 before decision day, and can he?

Some schools will pay for revisits on admitted student days. If this one is truly a final contender in spring, you should inquire about that.

Of course, if she does ED2 elsewhere, it’s a moot point.

1 Like

37% of CC students get any need based aid. There’s 30 of 2235 who get merit.

So CC, like so many other high level privates, has an overall wealthy student body. But so do many top programs such as Tufts, Colgate etc.

Some may do it for free for the admit visits but not sure.

2 Likes

I know it is a private school, but they have a program for Colorado resident to pay instate tuition. There is also a Colorado program, sort of like Bright Futures but not nearly as generous, that pays a per credit amount and can be used at the private schools too. $75/credit doesn’t go far at the private schools but every little bit helps (my daughter used her BF at a private school in Florida, and while it didn’t pay tuition, it helped).

"At Colorado College, where tuition runs $71,000, many new in-state students will pay just a fraction — or nothing at all

The Colorado Springs liberal arts school has launched the “Colorado Pledge,” an effort to attract more Colorado students and eliminate sticker shock that might prevent them from applying"

The vast majority of D’s classmates at Utah, who were ballet dancers with no apparent interest in outdoor activities when they went to college, ended up hiking, camping and even in some cases skiing. Even skiing doesn’t have to be a super expensive activity given the fairly low cost of the student Ikon pass if the ski resorts are a day trip from campus.

But I agree on the difference between private and public schools in terms of relative wealth: S noticed a big gap between students at UCLA and USC, even though the out of state students at UCLA are definitely well off.

1 Like

I never said other schools don’t. What are you saying? I’m merely talking about this school.

3 Likes

This school is $80k/year. I’m from FL and my kids got 100% BF, but there’s no way Colorado’s program could touch this tuition vs $6500 in FL. That’s all you get for any private school.

1 Like

There’s a big difference between most kids there and my kid with her $0 EFC :grinning:. I hope it’s okay.

1 Like

I was simply commenting about the # of kids who are on full pay - someone previous brought up pell grants. That’s all. I found it interesting though that someone brought up Colorado residents pay less - so not all those kids may be rich.

There are plenty of aid kids at a school like CC - but like many in its class, there’s tons of rich kids.

Just an observation based on comments in previous messages. That’s all.

3 Likes

I have skied my entire life and lived in Aspen for 4 years. Skiing is super expensive. The pass is the least of it :grinning:. Ski clothes, ski gear, equipment, lessons… definitely not affordable for a newbie who’s broke :upside_down_face:. I would hope she’d like to hike! Lol

1 Like

This clip was from 2 years ago at CC, when the tuition was $71k. They started a program for Colorado residents who apply and get accepted that they would pay the same in tuition (not room and board) as an instate student pays. It is not a state program, it is a CC program because it was losing instate students. I assume that would be the tuition at CU-Boulder (other Colorado state schools have a much lower tuition) which is the most expenses, at around $14k. There is a second state program that gives student about $75 per credit towards tuition, so the CC instate resident would pay less than the $14k. I haven’t heard that the program ended. I know there have also been Boettcher scholars who have chosen CC and had their full costs paid (or Daniels scholars). Just saying not every student is wealthy that attends CC. Most are, but not all and there are other ways to get scholarships than directly from CC.

My daughter used her BF at a private school in FL. She got that, the resident’s grant, some state FA, some federal FA, a few scholarships from the school…we pieced it all together to afford the school.

And don’t forget the amount in excess of Qualified education expenses (tuition, books, some required fees) is taxable. It’s a good thing to get that money and then be taxed on it, but it pinches at the time.

1 Like

Most students are from OOS. I believe only 16% are from CO. 13% of students receive Pell. 51% receive no aid. Max merit is 10k. Lots of money there :moneybag::grinning:.
My daughter has another 7 privates to hear from and is considering her FL options as well. This has certainly been a wild ride already!

1 Like

So nice both your kids have excellent choices!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! My daughter has also been accepted to a few of our FL state university honors colleges, but really wants to go out of state. She just put in an application for Northeastern today. April 1st cannot come soon enough! :joy:

5 Likes

I am super familiar with all of this. I lived in Aspen for 4 years just before I had my twins and have been in FL for the past 18 years. While Colorado may have fewer bugs and critters (LOL) than FL, it does have more bears! :joy: I think my daughter really likes the idea of being near a city because she doesn’t drive and won’t ever have a car during college. Also, the money thing is a real thing. She should be hearing from a couple of schools she’s very interested in this month including University of Richmond. Thanks for your insight!

3 Likes

I don’t think there is a great bus system in Colorado Springs. There is a good trail system for biking and hiking around town. The airport is fine, although a lot of flights connect through Denver, and there are buses to get get to Denver fairly easily.

Last year there were a number of incidents near CC because of homeless living on the trails. Not terribly different than at any college campus. I’d worry more about human attacks than bear attacks.

There are busses to Denver, yes! That’s all she needs, and knowing it’s not too far to explore for a day or evening.