Should we report change in home equity to schools that use CSS?

Yes, this is different than an appeal. It is an attempt to provide information that may allow the initial financial aid package to better reflect the family’s circumstances. If a school will allow the special circumstances review early in the game, it can avoid an appeal later.

3 Likes

Contacting his schools tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

I would be clear that this home improvement is to accommodate a disabled sibling. That is an extenuating circumstance that should be considered.

3 Likes

MAmom- fingers crossed for you.

FYI-- have a one page excel ready to go once you hang up with the financial aid folks. Your son’s name, address, etc. at the top. And then the relevant information neatly laid out with a few word explanation “Medical expense not covered by insurance” or “Physical therapy equipment recommended by physician” or “additional OT required for sibling” or "home modifications to accommodate siblings mobility limitations, whatever the expense is.

I know people who have created a big file with receipts, notes, a DX page from a physician, etc. and are essentially asking busy financial aid professionals to wade through it (basically a digital shoe box) and come to a favorable conclusion. C’mon. We all hate the shoebox method of organization!

Do yourself a favor and create a one-pager which is self-explanatory to the aid offer’s boss and THAT person’s boss. If the college wants receipts or backup information they will ask for it, but you will be saving everyone time by preparing a concise summary ahead of time.

Good luck…

4 Likes

We did special circumstances as part of an appeal. I think we also filled out the section in the initial form.

Not sure about you or @thumper1 , but we have actually been through this process. It yielded excellent results for us.

1 Like

I was a financial aid director, so my comments are based on that point of view.

That’s great. It doesn’t invalidate our current experience. I think it’s fine to share various perspectives.

Not bad to cover all bases. I have not done this for dealing with a disabled family member, but I know others who have. Like you, they had excellent results.

I just wanted to update everyone on this!

We emailed the three schools he applied to that use the CSS. They all said to wait until we found out if he was admitted.

He was admitted to WPI Early Action, they processed the appeal within about 10 days, and gave him an additional $4000 per year.

He was waitlisted at Northeastern so didn’t pursue that.

He was admitted (January start) to BU (RD), they processed the appeal in about 10 days also, and gave him an additional $6000 per year.

For the appeal we sent a letter explaining our “extraordinary“ (current) costs that are not strictly medical but are due to our children’s disabilities; documentation that half our our current savings is destined for a special needs trust for their long term care that we are in the process of establishing; and documentation of the reduced equity in our house from the bathroom renovation. Probably only the reduced equity was considered, but possibly the other info helped them know if wasn’t a “for fun” renovation.

Thank you all for your help & advice!

3 Likes

I am guessing all of the changes had to do with the costs associated with your special needs son. I am glad that the schools adjusted things for you in a way that resulted in increased aid.

3 Likes