Sigma Delta Tau

<p>Can anyone tell me a little about this sorority? I’m looking at options in case I don’t get a bid during recruitment because of my weight, and I became very interested in SDT. I’m starting to prefer it over the other sororities, but I had a few questions…</p>

<p>What is life like as a sister- do they also participate in social events like formals, swaps, etc?</p>

<p>How competitive is their recruitment?</p>

<p>I know they’re growing stronger… will they be on sorority row or participating in formal recruitment anytime soon? Just curious xx</p>

<p>If you want to know a little bit more about how the greek system works I recommend the Tv show “Greek”. Of course it is television so it isn’t 100% accurate but it has the same basis, such as big brother big sister events, parents weekend, rushing, what they look for. If you have netflix it is on there. I’m sure you can find an alternate method to watch it if you don’t have netflix. </p>

<p>I hope this helps. Good luck with rushing!</p>

<p>Sigma Delta Tau does not participate in formal recruitment. They will have a table set up in the Freg and will hold recruitment from September 12-15. I would suggest you stop by and visit them (I believe the table will be set up for Get on Board Day). For more information you can contact Rebecca Farmer at rushsigdelt (at) gmail (dot) com
Do not watch the tv show Greek to get a realistic representation as to how any Greek system works. It is a fabrication of many sorority and fraternity stereotypes and myths.</p>

<p>Sigma Delta Tau is a historically Jewish sorority that now includes members of all faiths. The Alabama chapter is a single-letter chapter, meaning it’s one of the sorority’s oldest chapters. They used to own the house now occupied by Alpha Phi. All the SDTs I’ve known have been lovely women with excellent academics.
Their house was rented out to several other Greek organizations over the years, including several fraternities whose houses were being renovated or replace entirely. Alpha Phi purchased the house just a couple of years ago. During that time, SDT met in the Hillel Foundation, I think.
This year, SDT will occupy one of the university-owned houses on the east side of campus.
I don’t know for sure, but I expect that when Alpha Gamma Delta or Alpha Delta Pi move into their new houses, SDT may purchase one of the houses left behind and move back to sorority row. I hope they will!
Here’s their website: [Sigma</a> Delta Tau | Rho Chapter - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://alabamasigdelt.com/]Sigma”>http://alabamasigdelt.com/)</p>

<p>To the OP, any sorority that discriminates against pledges because of their weight is not worth joining. It’s their loss, not yours. I hope you find some TRUE friends at Bama, whether through Greek or classes or dorm or clubs, and enjoy your next four years on our beautiful campus.</p>

<p>bamabound12: One of my son’s best friends is a SDT. She really enjoys sorority life. The girls are nice and good students. </p>

<p>Montegut: Unfortunately, there are organizations, employers and what not that are more worried about someone’s looks or weight than the individual that he or she is. Wish things were different, but … well, those same groups and individuals probably have missed out on some awesome people, because they do not judge the whole person.</p>

<p>thanks for all the help. this information is really helpful! xx</p>

<p>bamabound12, how did this all work out for you?</p>

<p>yes, please tell us how all this worked out for you. I did not realize that joining a sorority was so important.</p>