Singer Scholarship Finalists

<p>MomtoTwo-</p>

<p>Ditto your resonse to us. Great school acceptances but no money at the top schools. Guess they have plenty of top students so they don't need a hook to get them in.</p>

<p>My son loved UM and the Singer Scholarship weekend. The were so organized. It says a lot about the school and how well it is run. These kid will do well and go on to great things regardless of attending a top tier/Ivy and they will not be in debt and we can one day retire (and send the siblings to school too!)</p>

<p>Wish they'd send out a list of the Singers. Guess they'll be mixed in with all the Honor students so we won't know the stats. This was great and made my son feel he got the recognition he deserves.</p>

<p>Some basic stats:
34 ACT
3.95 UW GPA
9 APs (5, 5, 4, 4 so far)
11/512 rank (8/505 midyear)
My stats profile has more details.</p>

<p>Anyone feel like sharing basic stats of others who received this award?</p>

<p>I feel guilty for receiving this scholarship when I didn't go, but it really makes me reconsider ($128k!). I'll probably check out Miami and hope I like it.</p>

<p>I'm trying to decide between UF and UMiami to study pre-med. We talked to Joe Montgomery that weekend also, but the med program seems like a good idea. Why do you feel "discouraged" about the program?</p>

<p>34 ACT
4.0 UW GPA
13 APs
1/400 rank</p>

<p>I got the Singer Scholarship, but before that I had 3/4 tuition, and I am definitely going there next fall :D. Usually they give out 20 scholarships, but this year they gave out more, closer to 50-60 I think, because an alumnus donated a lot of money. </p>

<p>Stats:
34 ACT
4.0 UW GPA
7 APs/IB Diploma Candidate/National Merit Finalist
6/238</p>

<p>alexal,
Just saw your question. When my son asked about applying to the med pgm after freshman yr (which is an option), Mr. Montgomery "announced" to the group that applying after freshman yr is an option for those kids who didn't decide to do medicine until AFTER getting to college. Seemed like he was saying that if you applied senior yr of HS and didn't get in, don't reapply. There were some other incidents. After the med school tour, Mr. Montgomery was handing out business cards (Med School director) to the kids. When my son asked for one, he was told there weren't enough but a little later, I saw him giving cards to other kids. Maybe Mr. Montgomery didn't like my kid. It's also possible he didn't think he was a good candidate because my son has some medical issues. Luckily, Brown and U Rochester didn't feel there's a problem. In the end, it doesn't matter - my son had other options. U Miami seems like a good school. With the Singer, it's a GREAT opportunity and one my son would have seriously considered. In fact, some classmates knew he was at the Singer weekend, and asked him about the school. My son highly recommended it and those students will be going to UM this fall.</p>