Singer Scholarship Weekend

<p>D was invited to attend but we have been having the hardest time trying to get a flight back to NY that weekend. I would think President's week is probably not the best time to host this event with all the spring break travelers, etc. Everything is either booked or costing $1500+.</p>

<p>Is anyone else attending and/or having problems with flights?</p>

<p>My D just auditioned this week. When did your daughter audition?</p>

<p>We actually had no difficulty but we're flying into Ft. Lauderdale so we can use our Soutwest coupons. We intend to rent a car and drive to Coral Gables.</p>

<p>Lajazzmom, my d is not involved with auditions. She has been invited down to interview for a scholarship during a very busy travel weekend. Thus the problem booking a flight. Good luck to your d though! I just looked at American Airlines & got a price for over $2,000 for 2 people for a 2 day trip. Yikes!!</p>

<p>Maximus, where are you coming from? I have miles with American & Delta & no luck with either of them going into Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and even West Palm Beach. I would pay full price on them or another airline & not use the miles but am getting crazy prices.</p>

<p>We're flying out of BWI (Baltimore).</p>

<p>You're not that far south of me, but I have a feeling most everyone from NY is going to South Beach that weekend! I will keep trying. Sometimes they open up frequent flyer miles at the last minute.</p>

<p>Check out the JetBlue website. I think they have a lot of flights JFK-FLL. When the AA prices are sky high out of BOS, we sometimes do very well with JetBlue. I'm not sure where you are in NY, but flights from Newark(EWR) might work. South Florida is a very popular destination from the northeast in the winter, you may need to get creative. We have sometimes booked 2 one-ways on different airlines. </p>

<p>Good luck and congrats to your D and all the Singer nominees.</p>

<p>NYMama: Not everyone in NJ has the week off...Definitely try AA and JetBLue into Newark from both FLL and Miami....Good Luck!....</p>

<p>At the advice of CCers and locals attending UM, they suggest flying from Islip to Ft lauderdale. Both smaller airports and much more manageable than JKF, LGA and Miami International (which everyone says to avoid.) We used this flight path for Singers weekend last year and since my son is now attending UM, we always use this flight pattern. Try southwest.com and play around for dates with openings and fares. We had the same problem as you are having last year and ended up flying in a day early and visiting with relatives, etc..
GOOD LUCK TO ALL SINGERS AND ENJOY A GREAT WEEKEND!!!! Get ready to meet an incredible staff that really wants your child (and they continue to be just as nice and wonderful to our kids once they attend UM!!!)</p>

<p>Are these the Singer nominees from ED, or RD as well?</p>

<p>these are all early action seniors who've been accepted</p>

<p>Well thank you. Do you know if they will make RD kids nominees as well?</p>

<p>Well, if our forecasted ice storm doesn't derail our plans, looking forward to meeting you and touring the U.</p>

<p>yea rd kids have a weekend in April, tomorrow's just for EA accepted</p>

<p>hope you guys in the NE can still make it down here despite the weather...i'll be one of the people touring so yea</p>