Singer Scholarship

<p>I was looking around on these forums and saw that the requirements to even be invited to the Singer weekend were very high. I wanted to know if I had a shot at the Singer Scholarship with these stats:</p>

<p>Rank: 1/590
SAT: 1430/2130
GPA (weighted/unweighted): 5.46/3.97
IB Diploma Candidate</p>

<p>I've taken 8 AP classes through junior year, and am currently taking 7 IB courses as well. Only one B+ in high school thus far. I have good ECs (3 leadership positions, founded own club, decent amount of community service), and my letters of recommendation I'm going to hope will be good (I know some teachers fairly well). I'm probably going to get National Merit Commended and I have a few other awards...</p>

<p>The reason why I'm posting this is because I want to know if I need to bring up the SAT score to a 1500-ish to have a chance at this scholarship. From what I understand, this SAT is too low and I'm probably going to have to retake it in October. Help please, I really need to know if I should retake or go for subject tests in October. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>i think your stats look good for getting an invite! 1 out of 590 is very impressive! and it looks like you’ve challenged yourself and done very well in the most difficult classes!
also, UM superscores ACT and SAT, so I’m not sure if this changes your score or not
anyway, just thought i’d share my opinion but good luck!!
hope to see you at the U!!</p>

<p>i may be wrong, but it’s been my impression from what I’ve heard and personally experienced as a student who was invited to the Stamps weekend that SAT scores are the primary factor when it comes to receiving an invitation. if thats the case, i would really recommend re-taking the SAT and trying to boost those scores to a 1500 or higher. it gets more competitive every year, so you can never be too safe. the rest of your stats look excellent and right on track. once you get to the interview, stats don’t really matter as much, but SATs play a big role in securing an invite.</p>

<p>That’s what a lot have told me. I just don’t know if I can improve a 1430 any further. I’m hoping class rank kinda compensates for the low SAT, but right now I’m leaning towards retaking. Thank you guys for answering, really appreciate it!!</p>

<p>i went from a 1360 to a 1510, so anything is possible :stuck_out_tongue: good luck!</p>

<p>I echo other responders here. That 1430 kind of sticks out like a sore thumb on your otherwise excellent resume. If you have 2 more chances to retake the SATs, then take advantage of BOTH of them! Might even help to “study” for them by taking as many practice tests as possible, or even enroll in one of those prep courses - gasp! For a few hours on a Saturday morning, the reward could be huge. Also, unless you need the subject tests for another school, I’ve been told UM doesn’t consider them at all - don’t know if that is completely true… My D was invited to Stamps/Singer without taking a single subject SAT test - her SAT was 1520.</p>

<p>Oh ok, well I only have one more chance at a retake. And yeah, 1500 seems soooo high lol =(</p>

<p>Is 1540 enough? I’m also interested in this scholarship. ;p</p>

<p>Same question as Stevenf, except with a 1510</p>

<p>Well assuming your rank is pretty high and your grades/ECs are good yeah I think both 1540 and 1510 are enough.</p>

<p>I’m just concerned because my rank is 13/345 (not updated yet though) with a 4.0 UW, 5.463 W GPA. I’m concerned about my class rank not being high enough, even though I’ve taken many very difficult courses…</p>

<p>I am also interested in the Scholarship. What if you have everything else, but you are not in the top 1%? I go to a very competitive high school…</p>

<p>@shoppingislife—good news, not everyone invited is in the top 1% haha :slight_smile:
at least 2 other people were invited from my high school (one was invited to stamps weekend, one to singer) and neither were in the top 1%, though both had a high rank</p>

<p>@comeonapril1
well thats a relief! I also need some advice… I know you need a really good SAT/ACT score to even be considered, and for the most part a 4.0 UW… I know this seems kind of unrealistic but I’m a sophomore going to be a junior… i have taken some practice ACT and roughly my score is about a 25 :confused: and a UW GPA of 3.4… anyway i can bring this up to a 4.0 and 34-36 ACT score by the time I apply in senior year? I can’t afford the tuition and I REALLY want to go here…</p>

<p>@shoppingislife
to be considered for merit aid at miami, i believe you need at least a 31 on your ACT (or SAT equivalent)
the good news is that they superscore both the ACT and SAT
and you still have plently of time to finalize your scores since you’ll be a junior
i would suggest taking the ACT a few times if this is possible for you
there is variation in the ACT from test to test (one time reading may be a little easier, etc.)
if you take advantage of this, it could raise your superscore and give you experience with the test itself (types of questions, timing, formatting, etc.)
if you take the actual test maybe twice and still aren’t scoring as high as you’d like, maybe try the SAT (some people are much better at one or another)
a tutor or speed-reading course may help, too
also, miami is need-blind :slight_smile:
good luck!</p>

<p>The “minimum” SAT and ACT required for invites to the full scholarship weekend are 1500 (out of 1600) or 33. This is subject to change based on a variety of factors, namely GPA, class ranks, and minority status. (That’s not racist, UM is VERY proud of the fact that we have a large minority population, but many of these students are actively recruited by schools with smaller minority populations.)</p>