SITE Engineering Program

DS is currently a HS Junior and Alabama is his top choice. We are from Texas but DH’s family is from Alabama. He has applied for the SITE program and I had a couple of logistical questions assuming he’s accepted.

1. Is it first come/first serve on getting accepted or is there an actual selection process?

2. Due to limited vacation days I thought I would fly him to Birmingham and shuttle him to UA. Has anyone done this? Would it be ok for him to arrive on Sunday and would he have a place to stay? Or would he need to arrive Monday morning?

1st time posting and just want to say thanks to everyone here who is so helpful. I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have known otherwise if not for the wealth of info here. Thanks and Roll Tide!

Welcome

@SOSConcern can you answer ?

@Texasmom18, which week is he attending? The reason I ask is that there is a 2-night gap for weeks II and III. This might be an opportunity to stay in the dorm early. You’d have to call and ask if that’s a possibility. You will not be the only student in this situation, I’m sure.

“To be considered for SITE, you must submit an online application. For additional information or problems with the application, contact Greg Singleton or Stephanie Hudson or call (205) 348-1596.”

Here is the link for other people to view this program: http://site.eng.ua.edu/

@aeromom He will be attending week 1 due to commitments with his HS band. I will probably end up reaching out and asking I just didn’t want to bug them until we knew if he was actually going.

As soon as SITE registration opens up, I believe you indicate the sessions you can attend. Then they get back to you on the session they have your student scheduled.

Can discuss with Greg Singleton if there is a logistics for attending a particular session. With being out of state, if you contact Greg in a timely manner, or Stephanie Hudson. They may have the weekly dates set up and can provide you additional answers to your questions.

My son is from California and attended last year. He absolutely loved it! When we registered we indicated the session we wanted. I then contacted Mr. Singleton because I wanted to be able to make travel arrangements as soon as possible and he let me know that my son would definitely be accepted and for the week he wanted, so it was all good. For his week, they started on Sunday, but really it is just a check in, dinner for the parents and students and then they went back to dorms for ice breakers, etc. They began classes on Monday, but everyone checked in on Sunday.

Edit - it looks like week 1 starts on a Sunday this summer as well, so your son will definitely check in on Sunday and be able to stay in the dorms that night.

@TexasMom18 is DS interested in Million Dollar Band? UA Crimson Camp is a one week summer program run by the two band directors of MDB - but it is musicianship (no marching). MDB students get ‘rookie camp’ before the senior MDB students come back to campus for their pre-start before fall classes. DD attended crimson camp two summers, but she is in-state. Going on her 4th year of MDB this fall. About half of MDB students are in engineering. The audition is based on musicianship, and high audition results mean MDB scholarship too, which covers cost plus pocketing some money.

@SOSConcern Yes he is absolutely wanting to be in MDB. We looked at the summer camp but if memory serves it didn’t line up with his schedule. He is also active in scouts (He’s an eagle scout) and we are trying to block off a week for drum major camp as he is trying out for drum major. I believe it was one of those two things that caused the schedule conflict.

@Tannison I guess I missed it starting on Sunday. That’s good to know that he can arrive on Sunday morning. I wish I could be there for the beginning dinner… I just don’t have the vacation days for the whole week and I can’t justify two turnaround trips.

@TexasMom18 - don’t worry, there were at least a dozen other participants who didn’t have their parents with them at the dinner. They all make friends very quickly. It’s a great experience.

The luncheon at the end is good for parent(s) to be at with their student. @TexasMom18 if your son does Drum Major as a senior, have him keep up his musicianship. Maybe when he is on UA campus, during free time from coming for SITE, he can check out the Music Dept and talk to some people. DD is taking summer classes so she will be at her apt across the street from campus. PM me once you set up SITE. What is your son’s instrument?

I’ll have to remember that.

He plays sax - alto, Bari and soprano.

DD was a counselor last summer for SITE. She had such a great time and said the kids for so awesome that she is doing it again this summer. She said lots of kids don’t have parents at the dinner and that everyone made friends quickly.

Just updating that S18 received his acceptance letter for SITE camp this weekend! Now to finalize the travel plans…