Sitting in on a class?

<p>My DS and I are going to head down for Capstone Scholars Day in January. DS visited with DH over the summer but still isn’t 100% convinced that UA is the right place for him. DH thought it was a great fit - and that Presidential Scholarship helps too.</p>

<p>I’m thinking it would be a good idea to come down and spend the day on campus on Friday before Capstone Scholars. DS is looking at being a computer science or engineering major. He is very interested in video game development (which he knows is not a focus at UA) and robotics (currently member of an FRC team). Since he’s done the Honors college tour, seen the dorms, met with a prof. from CS dept., - maybe sitting in on a class would be a good idea? Does anyone know how one would set that up? Maybe letting him tag along with a current student with similar interests? (He also loves playing Magic the Gathering and plans to go to Crimson Castle to play on Friday night). He’s not interested in a fraternity.</p>

<p>I’d love some suggestions of how to give him a “real life” feel for UA.</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>When my son visited UA, his visit with Dr. Ken Ricks, who took us into the robotics lab for an hour to “play”, sealed the deal. Maybe ask the honors college if they could set up a similar visit for your son. </p>

<p>[Dr</a>. Kenneth G. Ricks - People - The College of Engineering - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://eng.ua.edu/people/kricks/]Dr”>http://eng.ua.edu/people/kricks/)</p>

<p>When I arranged our second visit through the honors college, I just requested that son be able to sit in on a class in the engineering department and they took care of scheduling it. He sat in on one of the 100 level freshman engineering courses and after the class the instructor took time to sit down with son and myself to talk about the degree requirements, how that course fit in, and answer any questions we had.</p>

<p>To arrange, I simply used the contact information that is frequently posted here:</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>^^Just going to second jrcsmom’s post. DD wasn’t sure which engineering focus she wanted to study, so we arranged for 1) upper level engineering class attendace, 2) meeting with a dean, 3) visit with Dean Sharpe, and 4) one on one visits of an hour each with upperclassmen who answered all DD’s questions and shared how they approached classwork loads and a balanced life on campus.</p>

<p>Allison arranged all of this for us. DD’s experiences above sealed the deal for her.</p>

<p>He may also have the option of attending the campus gaming club (ABXY) Friday Night Game Night. D isn’t sure if there is already one scheduled, but if not, she is going to suggest they have one that Friday so that any other gamers that are in town Friday to attend Capstone Scholars can come by. They usually meet in the Ferg, but reservations haven’t been made for the Spring semester yet and with the renovations they may have to temporarily move. </p>

<p>I asked her specifically if anyone brings their Magic decks to the Friday events and she said several individuals do. </p>

<p>If he’s interested, let me know when we get closer and I’ll share the details.</p>

<p>Just a heads up…</p>

<p>The day before CSDay is insane. Many people do what you’re going and arrive early so that they can be there on that Friday to meet with profs, etc.</p>

<p>So, contact Allison and Susan now. They’re going to be very busy over the next few weeks preparing for CSDay as well as preparing for the hundreds that come early to do what you’re doing.</p>

<p>Ooh-hadn’t thought of that. I’ll have DS contact the Honors College ASAP. I appreciate all of the good information (as always). </p>

<p>He was psyched about more contacts in the Magic world too. You folks are great!</p>

<p>Hi VAMom! Your son needs to meet my son–they sound like potential kindred spirits and roommates! I have a DD who is a junior at Bama. My son is waiting to hear from GaTech but I am praying hard he’ll follow his sister to Bama. He will be a computer science major as well. He also is a Magic player, along with being in a group called the Nerd Herd who has been playing D&D since middle school. He would be rooming with a fellow Nerd Herd friend with all the same interests and neither will go Greek (my DD is in a sorority). Both boys are good students with scholarships in hand already. The friend is also a fencer. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to put them in touch. My son has some similar feelings about fit but I keep assuring him his experience can be different from his sister’s. I think sitting in on a class is a great idea. Not sure if we will do Capstone Day as we went to E Day. That was new info to me about the Friday night sessions for Magic so I’m glad you posted it!</p>