Size and Race Relations at UA

<p>National Merit or Achievement Finalist Package is a GREAT one. My parents, therefore, want me to apply to UA and hold the spot. My concern is two fold.</p>

<p>Firstly, I am really not wanting a huge school. I think I will feel lost and not get the interaction with professors that I would like to have. Can someone respond to the general class size and how, short of Greek life, one can find a smaller ‘home’ within a big school?</p>

<p>Secondly, how is the diversity at UA? I’ve had a great experience of having friends of different religions, races, etc. and of being in a fairly tolerant and welcoming. I have also been in a more segregated school where, while there was not outward animosity, the kids pretty much stuck to their own. I prefer the former. Where does UA stand in this regard?</p>

<p>Thanks for any insight into things.</p>

<p>HSG</p>

<p>My D also wanted a small school. She flat out refused even thinking about a big school. She feel in love with UA when we visited. There are many organizations you can join to give you that small feel. My D went back and forth with joining the band, she was in band in high school, because it gives you that instant family and connection. I’ve heard many say the same from participating in Alabama Action and Outdoor Action. If there is a send off party in your area in the summer before you leave, go! Also make sure you attend any events that are put on locally by your area recruiter. This gives you a connection with the people in your area that are also going off to UA. </p>

<p>My D went to a very diverse school, not just race wise but socio economic as well. So far, she has enjoyed UA.</p>

<p>My son is a freshman and his classes have 3, 12, 15, 30, and 52 students. In his class with 3 people, he presents his work 1:1 to the prof.</p>

<p>Son is a freshman in civil engineering. We have been surprised at the small sizes of his classes, even calc 2 and chemistry. We just assumed those would be in the area of 200-300 students for the lecture days. He says his chem 1 is more like 100 and his calc is only 40 students. This is very different that what his high school buddies are experiencing at UF.</p>