SJSU Class of 2026 - Regular Decision

The requirement was suspended for 2021-2022. It does not look like they have announced whether it will be for 2022-2023.

Prior to that, the requirement exempted frosh who graduated from a high school within 30 miles of the SJSU campus, or request other (mostly non-traditional student) exemptions.

2 Likes

The major which needs 4.35. No point looking at the portal now. Would have been smart to pick software engineering which needs 4.1. Can’t blame SJSU, look what they say below.

Choose Your Major Carefully

It is important to understand that though all majors are impacted, the admission threshold for each major varies, depending on the capacity of the major to take new students, and the number of students applying for that major in that term.

Generally good advice as SJSU makes it clear, but don’t think you meant this for me.

Not for you. I thought you asked the application status.

I’m sorry I can imagine how disappointing this is. My daughter is in school now so I don’t know if she’s gotten any info yet, but my rough calculation of her CSU GPA shows she probably just missed the CS major cutoff too and I know she will be bummed. You have incredible stats and should feel proud of that even if it might not feel so great right now.

Did you list an alternate major you might get into? I think my daughter listed Undeclared as alternate major for all her applications (she’s really undecided about CS and all the majors really). But even if she gets in that way, I imagine it would be too hard to later get into CS if that’s what she really wants so she might not want to even attempt it. She got into a few other schools where she can do CS, but she was hoping to stay closer to home (we’re in Northern California).

I did encourage her to consider applying to the new Cal Poly Humboldt – their deadline is Feb 28 if it’s something you want to consider too. They currently offer CS and are adding in more tech and engineering majors too: Academic Programming Build Out | Cal Poly Humboldt

And even if you don’t get into SJSU doesn’t mean you won’t get into other good UC/CSU’s as most don’t seem to follow such strict formulas. Wherever you end up, I’m sure you’ll do well as it’s clear you’re a strong student. Good luck!

3 Likes

Just checked D’s portal. She has this Conditional Admit - Self Report now. I don’t see the major though.

1 Like

Major is whatever she applied to. They don’t specify it on the portal.

1 Like

Did they release the decisions for In State also and did anyone in Bay area got any update? I don’t see any update on the portal.

we are in state i still see The status of your application is:
Application In-Progress

We are in bayarea. Just saw the update in my D’s portal (10-15 mins back)

We leave in San Jose and my son was accepted (provisional admite) to CS this morning.

1 Like

No update either. My S22 just checked.

What’s provisional admit? I lookedup some definitions can’t figure what’s what.

Oh, we are from east bay. It still doesn’t show any update for us.

Hang on, it’s just a matter of hours or days. Looks like they are updating portals.

1 Like

Just means the official transcript has to match the courses/grades entered in the application.

1 Like

Congratulations!

From Fremont here. I think geography doesn’t matter at this point it looks like. Which major did your kid apply to?

PHASE III - Admission Decision Period (Beginning mid to late February 2022)

• Post admission decisions on MySJSU for all CSU eligible undergraduates who meet impaction requirements. Don’t forget to check your MySJSU messages each week!

• Begin mailing admission packets around the last week of February.

(That’s from their email to applicants back in December)

Just calculate the impaction score for your student and compare against the threshold for the major he/she applied. If your number is at or above, it indicates an admit. Don’t worry about the portal update. That’s just official confirmation.

Thanks for that update. I found the calculator for “impacted” majors/campuses with ACT. Mine has an index of 1244 (CSU GPA x 200 + (ACT x 10)).