SJSU Class of 2026 - Regular Decision

I’m happy the profs crack down on fundamentals of data structures and algo. One should digest the CLRS book end to end well. That will make them help clear FAANG interviews. Very good and should be encouraged, its not discouraging.

1 Like

SJSU CS is not exactly a secret. CS has been the most selective / competitive major at SJSU for many years now.

4 Likes

Cal poly slo??

1 Like

S22 finally checked his portal (two days later :woman_facepalming: ).

Admitted
Physics
W 4.22
UW 3.96
In-State, Non-Local

Also Admitted: SDSU, SFSU, CSUF, CSULA, CSULB, CSU Sacramento, Cal Poly Pomona
Waiting for: Cal Poly SLO, UCs

5 Likes

Yes, that one too.

1 Like

My son still has not heard as of 2/28/22 from sjsu

CS major
In state
Not local
Gpa 4.27 CSU capped weighted.

He checked his portal. Application still being reviewed.

I don’t think he met the threshold index for CS. He doesn’t meet any additional point categories. He had no idea.

the impaction score was 4530 last year which is 4.35 gpa. You are just below

Anyone know when decisions may be out for OOS Transfers? And if I don’t meet the Animation major’s impaction score (the only way would be if I got a 4.0 GPA at my school), is there basically no hope of me getting admitted?

are we compared to the impaction score that was for last year or this year?

This year. Last year was just for reference but could change a lot this year (mostly go up)

If you haven’t heard by now, it is a rejection? or do I still have hope

Assuming you are talking about CS, I believe 2021 was 3400 equating to a 4.25 CSU GPA. And this year, the published cutoff is 3480 or 4.35.

If someone is below the cutoff, you can assume a reject status most likely and in some cases a wl status of SJSU is unsure about yield. Impossible to know for sure given that we are so far off from the 05/01 commit day. I would imagine if yield falls drastically then the score may settle down to a lower level. I don’t know this to be sure - just speculating.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to know if those still waiting for a decision are slightly below the cutoff for their major (e.g. like SJSU Class of 2026 - Regular Decision - #146 by ShokiPup ). If that is a common pattern, perhaps they are waiting to see what early yield looks like, and then give final decisions in April or some such to those still waiting.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s a good point, we do want them to be able to get and thrive in jobs after graduation! But I’d hoped the initial admissions decisions would help narrow the field to students who they really believe could handle the basic courseload.

I guess I’m discouraged by the idea that these kids are told (by being admitted to CS) that they are among a small group whom the school believes can complete the degree requirements, only to then face the first year in classes intended to weed them out further. I can understand if the non-CS majors trying to get in from another major would find the classes too difficult, but I hoped admission to the CS would mean they could get out with the degree if they put in the work. :frowning:

Thanks for your insights, they’re very helpful!

I’m hoping so for the sake of everyone still waiting on this thread. S22 is unlikely to commit to SJSU and I’m hoping if he does decide that way, his slot will go to someone waiting.

1 Like

It is not exactly like this. Yield is lower at the high end of the admit group and higher at the low end of the admit group. So it could that (for example) if 4 or 5 admits at the high end decline, that may mean that 1 or 2 marginal applicants at the low end can be admitted.

If SJSU is waiting until later to give decisions for applicants just below their majors’ thresholds, it would depend on admits committing and declining before it sends out the final notifications.

1 Like

Yes makes sense. One of the reasons we withdrew from a couple of schools already.

1 Like

how did people get in already for CS then with a CSU GPA below 4.35?

One possibility is they are local.

They may be local to Santa Clara county who get a 0.25 GPA bump. So someone local with 4.1 csu GPA will be effectively 4.35