SJSU Class of 2026 - Regular Decision

Please stop worrying :blush:. I am a mom too so can understand. First two years of college are filled with GE courses like English, philosophy, psychology, discrete math ,CS major prerequisites, other electives etc. They are not tough. Data structures and algorithms might be a Junior level course and your kid might not even find it difficult. Some do. All depends on the teacher.

2 Likes

Anyone know when decisions may be out for OOS Transfers? And if I don’t meet the Animation major’s impaction score (the only way would be if I got a 4.0 GPA at my school), is there basically no hope of me getting admitted?

Transfers heard starting March 1 last year.

So maybe starting tomorrow, thank you!

Thank you for your kind reassurances, I hope you’re right! The other posts made me think they are intentionally trying to cull the classes of the CS majors, which sounds like it would be an extremely stressful, competitive environment. :frowning:

Anyway, sorry I think I’m getting off-topic? Good luck to all waiting for decisions!

I wouldn’t be surprised if the “hard CS” courses comments came from those who attended SJSU back when it was not all that difficult to get into SJSU CS, so some not-as-strong students found CS courses to be to difficult. But now, with SJSU CS enrolling frosh with strong high school academic records, it is likely that far fewer CS students will find CS courses to be too difficult.

Indeed, similar comments about engineering majors at many universities are common, but they often reflect a time when it was much less difficult to get admitted to the college or the engineering major or division.

There are, however, some colleges which admit beyond capacity in some majors and weed out students who do not attain a high enough GPA, although this kind of thing is more common in nursing. There are other colleges where popular majors like CS are subject to secondary admission that may be fiercely competitive.

According to newly released data on ROI by Georgetown University, SJSU ranks higher in return on investment than some UCs, including UCSC, UCR and UCSB. It beats SDSU as well. Not sure how much to rely on this data for your decision, but here it is: New database ranks 4,500 US colleges and universities by return on investment

1 Like

Thank you, that is very reassuring! I’m going to start a new thread because I have more questions and don’t want to go off-topic. Thank you!

SJSU has a relatively high percentage of graduates in business, engineering, computer science, and health professions (47%, compared to 27% at UCR) that is likely good for its overall financial ROI.

In general, financial ROI comparisons based on entire colleges can be misleading since the mix of majors matters. Note that the top colleges in the list tend to be heavy with health professions, engineering, computer science, and (elite) business as majors or post-graduation destinations.

1 Like

Also the sample size matters. For example the SJSU salary survey does not have a lot of students participating. But i understand college scorecard will have better data than this. But the ROI is still based on a small portion of the students.

1 Like

College Scorecard includes all graduates who received federal financial aid. It also allows checking pay levels after graduation by major (if the major at the college has enough graduates), which may be much more useful than pay levels after graduation for the whole college.

1 Like

Sure. I meant the same thing. I do not know what percentage of students receive federal aid and are part of the ROI calculation.

This percentage could be different for each school.

just got in as a conditional admit self report!! does anyone know where to view an application letter because I forgot if I applied for computer or software engineering

1 Like

Congrats! I think my daughter’s acceptance letter didn’t specify her major, so she too had to look back to her initial application to see whether she applied for CS or SE! I can’t remember if she was able to find it in her Cal State Apply account, or if she might’ve otherwise saved a PDF of her original application. Either way, congrats! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check your Cal state apply

just got conditional admit as well in the portal. if I applied CS but didn’t meet impaction threshold, does this mean I’m admitted to my alternate major? I can’t find this info anywhere and I didn’t receive an email.

Where do you see the conditional admit info? In the Messages?

in the portal–under application status

1 Like

There will be an admit letter in the messages. I assume that letter will either say “you are admitted to the major you applied” (this is the message S22 got) or “you are admitted to an alternate major
”

Wait until you can see that letter, and contact SJSU if its not clear at that point.

3 Likes

My son’s application status still in progress. Anyone have the same issue?

1 Like