SL vs HL

<p>I'm starting to think I should have planned out my high school schedule better. I'm a junior and am planning on taking three HLs, three SLs, TOK, and Orchestra next year. I'm taking HL in Biology, English, and History. I'm taking SL in Math, Spanish, and probably Econ (I took IB Physics 1 this year but am planning on replacing it with Econ next year because I'm just not that interested in Physics). My concern is that I know many people at my school who are taking 4 or 5 HLs, and I'm worried that I might be at a disadvantage. Most of the kids who have gotten into HYPS in the past have taken at least 4 or 5 HLs in their senior year. I'm beginning to regret not planning this out better... if I had taken IB Business or IB Econ this year instead of Orchestra, I could have taken the HL class next year. I could take IB Physics HL, but I'm worried that I won't be able to get an A first semester in that class because it's so difficult and Physics is not my strongest subject. </p>

<p>I'm just looking for a little advice/guidance/consolation. Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining.</p>

<p>The IB itself advises students to take 3-4 HL courses, and won’t allow a student to sit for 5 HL exams. The school culture you’re describing is insanity, and I wouldn’t beat yourself up about not pushing yourself through that. Where is your IB Coordinator? You should ask your guidance counselor whether s/he will mark that you took “the most rigorous course load available” if you take the IB-recommended 3 HLs. If you enjoy orchestra, don’t drop it in order to add more HL courses! Universities want to see that you know how to be <em>balanced</em> in your life = excellence in your education and also contributing positively to the school culture.</p>

<p>i had the same question as you before I started IB… i went with 3 HLs and 3 SLs.</p>

<p>The Harvard Rep when he came to our school said that he had done the IB Diploma with 3 HLs and 3 SLs and got into Harvard… lol. Then i asked the IB coordinator and the counselor and they said 3/3 is fine. Most kids though who are competitive are doing 5 HLs/2SLs (1 extra HL for certificate) or 4/2</p>

<p>I have a very similar schedule (swap Econ with ITGS). I don’t think it hurt me at all in the admissions process. You’re taking a strenuous courseload, and I don’t see how having one or two more HLs will do anything other than cause more stress.</p>

<p>Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses! I wish I could show this thread to my friends and classmates who are planning on taking 5 HLs next year because they think they absolutely need it to get into college. I just wanted to know how colleges look at SL/HL versus AP. Do they not consider SL courses to be on the same level of rigor as AP courses? Because if so, I don’t essentially want to be taking just three AP classes.</p>