Sleeping over

<p>Are there limitations to having someone sleep over in your dorm (with roommate consent), such as how many times a semester, how many days consecutive, etc.?</p>

<p>They’re not supposed to be of the opposite gender.</p>

<p>That said, if you don’t let it become an issue, no one will complain.</p>

<p>There’s a rule on the books that says you can’t, but if your roommate doesn’t care then nobody will say anything.</p>

<p>If they’re of the opposite gender, you’re not allowed to sleep.</p>

<p>Make of that what you will.</p>

<p>That said I had an extremely strict RA sophomore year, and even he said that as long as A) they didn’t use the guy’s bathroom and B) my roommate was fine with it (or gone, I’ll never understand people having a girlfriend over for the night when their roommate is in the room) he wouldn’t do anything.</p>

<p>My freshman year RA would give us high-5s if he saw us stumbling back in late at night with a girl.</p>

<p>VT more or less takes a “if I don’t see it, it didn’t happen” approach to student behavior WITHIN THE CONTEXT of not affecting anyone else negatively or affecting or altering school or anyone else’s property. Having a few beers in your room quietly? Bring your girlfriend back? Chances are you won’t get into trouble. It’s like going 5 miles over the speed limit: technically illegal, but rarely enforced.</p>

<p>Actually they’ll hammer you pretty hard on the beer thing if they catch you. Well, they’ll write you up and make you go to a “Choices” class, but they do enforce that rule MUCH more than they enforce the guest policies.</p>

<p>A funny thing is that some of the dorms don’t have a time that members of the opposite sex have to be out by, they just aren’t allowed to sleep over. Of course by the time you answer your door neither of you are sleeping anymore (and if you were being loud enough to cause the RA to come to your door in the first place you probably weren’t sleeping regardless) so without a roommate complaining it’d be pretty impossible for them to enforce the rule anyway.</p>

<p>As an RA for 2 years I think I can answer this one. Last I checked, different dorms have different visitation policies but the majority of them are the same. For example I was an RA in Cochrane hall(where West End is) and visitation of the opposite sex was allowed during certain hours “officially”. I can’t remember the official hours because no one cared honestly but usually it’s like midnight on week days and 2am on weekends. Same sex can stay over “officially” as long as they want and as long as the roommates are ok with it. </p>

<p>My freshman year, my roommate was terrible (pot head). He came back 3 times at 4am with this weird gothic looking chick (not hot) and proceeded to “do it” while I was trying to sleep.Waking up to that is terrible and I got tired of sleeping in the study lounges until morning. It wasn’t until I complained to my RA and had a conversation with the RA that it stopped. Things like that are rare but it does happen. Just make sure your roommates are ok with it. </p>

<p>The key thing that we were told as RA’s is both roommates being ok with it. If there was a conflict then we would have to enforce the visitation rules. Believe it or not I did have to deal with a few things. One time I was woken up at 2/3am by a neighboring resident and sure enough there was a stranger that he didn’t know sleeping in his roommates bed!! He said he assumed it was his roommate until he turned on the light. That was my first semester as an RA and I was shocked and clueless so I just followed training and called VT police and they took care of it. I found out later it was the neighboring resident’s friend who was spending the night (was drunk), used the bathroom, came back and went in the wrong room. Funny stuff. </p>

<p>Another situation my last year as an RA was someone’s gf was actually living with him in the room for over a month and I didn’t know about it because I only saw the girl during the day until his roommate complained and I had to write a report to my supervisor about it and get it taken care of ect. </p>

<p>Most RA’s won’t monitor their residents to the point that they knock on all the doors and check their rooms weekly to see how they are living, that’s not our business unless there is a conflict. Like if your door is open we will stop by and say hello but if you shut your door we will only knock on it if we need something or there is an issue of some sort. It’s rare but I’ve heard of some RA’s on power trips or just weird in general doing that kind of thing but you could always go above your RA to their supervisor GTA (who is usually in the same building) and let them know about it too. </p>

<p>As for alcohol, as an RA if they find empty cans or bottles technically they are suppose “log” it as observation but there is no rule against it. Empty’s are fine even if it’s suspicious. It’s only if there is alcohol present where there is a problem. If RA’s smell/see/hear alcohol then it’s a violation and your in trouble. For example if I heard noise and checked it out and there was alcohol then yea the RA is required to write it up or call VT police (if there is a party). If you are 21 or older, you are allowed to drink in your room but you have to shut your door, no public drinking basically. I found beer cans a few times in the recycling bins of my hall but couldn’t do anything about it nor did I really care anyway.</p>

<p>I’ve heard of some RA’s actually seeing the alcohol violation and not caring as well, but doing that can get the RA fired so usually most of them don’t since underage alcohol possession is a serious violation and illegal. One of my fellow RA’s actually had a resident with a drug problem (pot) which is one of the most serious things we deal with since we are required to call the police on the spot. If you are caught with pot, you get expelled right away. Tech has a no tolerance policy with pot and other illegal drugs.</p>