Slo vs Pomona?

I’ve heard that calpoly pomona is generally looked down upon in terms of teaching and academics compared to cal poly slo. Is this really the case? Or are both slo and pomona just as good. I’m applying for mechanical engineering and just want to know if the engineering programs are similar because I have a slim chance of getting into slo.

1 Like

They are both good schools. Cal Poly is rated higher in most majors and I’d suggest employers see SLO as a more desirable degree. Ratings can be somewhat subjective but given common data points SLO is a better school

Compare the ME curriculum below:
SLO::https://flowcharts.calpoly.edu/downloads/mymap/20-21.52MEBSU.EMPH-.pdf

CPP: https://www.cpp.edu/academic-programs/academic-advising/tools/sheets-roadmaps/2019-2020/curriculum-sheets/egr/19-20_mechanical_engineering_0613-093222.pdf

My husbands company hires Engineering majors from both schools and prefers both Cal Poly’s for the “hands on” approach to learning.

SLO is a tougher admit than CPP but both are ABET accredited for ME. ABET accreditation provides assurance that a college or university program meets the quality standards of the profession for which that program prepares graduates.

3 Likes

SLO is more popular because of the setting. It has more of a residential feel whereas CPP has a lot of commuters. I have friends who graduated from CPP and had no problem finding jobs in the STEM world.

My husband also interviews new candidates for his engineering corporation, and he has no problem with graduates from either school. He prefers the Cal poly grads over the UC grads because they are “ready to go” with minimal training and he says they know their stuff really well.

The advantage of the CPP students is that they can get a variety of “local” student experiences in LA County (JPL is right down the road in Pasadena right off the 210).

Both are very good schools, so if you get into both, it’s a non-issue. Good Luck!

3 Likes

Yes, my dad was an aerospace engineer (over his career - Rockwell, McDonnell Douglass, Boeing) and he said that they looked very highly upon graduates from Cal Poly Pomona. He also knew several of the aerospace professors there.

CPP is a great school with an excellent reputation with major employers. SLO is definitely more selective due to that campus vibe and location attracting more applicants, but that doesn’t cheapen CPP’s offerings or reputation for graduating extremely smart and capable employees. The commuter reputation for CPP is the only reason it’s my son’s second choice behind SLO, but non-local freshmen are required to live on campus, there are lots of clubs, and plenty of opportunities for students to get involved.

We did a tour in December and it’s a great campus. The hands-on activities within the various colleges and clubs are fabulous.

For 2023 admission cycle, looks like CPP impact engineering major’s selectiveness is getting very close to SLO. I believe CPP has the best engineering program in CSU system beside SLO.
Definitely a good choice.

Also there are some advantages for CPP over SLO.

1. More diverse
  2. Close to LA area, more companies around for jobs and internships opportunities
  3. More flexible to change major.
1 Like