SLU vs Mizzou for Political Science

Got accepted to both Saint Louis University & University of Missouri-Columbia (in-state). I plan to major in Political Science and I really don’t know what to pick. Did not receive the award letters yet. Will be living on campus, can’t visit campuses since I’m out of the country till August, time is ticking and I was accepted to both schools fairly recently.

Well they’re very different schools. SLU is a much smaller urban school. They do have a decent basketball team, but otherwise not much in the way of athletics. Mizzou has three times as many undergrads, a very vibrant Greek system, a much larger campus that’s pretty, and SEC athletics. I would think you’d stylistically gravitate to one or the other. More importantly, your award letters will probably point the way. Good luck.

2 Likes

They are very different schools, and I suspect the poli sci departments are very good at both, so you should look at both fit (socially and academically) and other factors like core curriculum, availability of adjacent majors or minors, and supported internships and applied work. One advantage of Mizzou: it’s much closer to Jefferson City, which might mean easier access to jobs and internships of interest to a poli sci major. But given that both schools likely have very good poli sci departments, I think overall fit should be a more important factor in your decision.

2 Likes

Update I got 51k$ in aid from SLU which brings the COA down to 17k$~

Still waiting on Mizzou aid.

3 Likes

Update 2, got 14k in aid from Mizzou, COA is 14k$~

3 Likes

last update, committed to Pitt, similar cost to SLU, OOS, got of the waitlist, happy with my decision =)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.