SLU vs UIC premed

Hello!
I am a hs senior trying to pick between two options for my public health major on the premed track.
Both cost the same after scholarships and grants for me so its really just a matter of location and program.

I have UIC which is closer to home and obv located in Chicago with lots of opportunities and research. I would have to commute to keep costs down for this option which I’m not sure will the best idea but obviously the location is a huge plus and I would be close to family which is important to me.

And then also SLU which is also in a good city, and I also obtained admission into the Med Scholars program and am a MLK scholar. They are in general a very premed focused school I feel like, but am not 100% sure.

Please give me advice on which one to choose, like which one has the better public health program and better premed resources, opportunities, and research!

Thank you!!

SLU - you know why - it’s a fine school and this:

I would have to commute to keep costs down for this option which I’m not sure will the best idea but obviously the location is a huge plus and I would be close to family which is important to me.

Go to college. Experience it. St. Louis isn’t that far from home and it’s time to grow. Plus SLU is excellent and offering you extra enrichment via the King program. It is a jesuit school - so know that going in. On the college confidential, people speak of Jesuit schools in glowing terms.

Best of luck. And congrats on a fine get!!

If you receive a King Scholarship, you’ll participate in a structured program designed to deepen your self-awareness, be exposed to multicultural experiences and encouraged to develop as an advocate for positive social change.

3 Likes

I would search the archives. This exact question comes up every year.

SLU should be able to provide the statistics for Med Scholars. How many meet the requirements? How many get accepted to SLU’s med school? If they can’t or won’t provide that would be a red flag for me.

If I remember correctly the odds were pretty good IF you met the requirements and passed the interview. That said, a lot of kids drop premed before reaching this point.

How certain are you about being a doctor? Have you shadowed any doctors?

I would argue, even taking med school out since OP isn’t sure ( is any kid truly sure at 18?) - I would still argue the living away from home and enrichment from MLK would be beneficial.

Certainly you bring up fair points on the data.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.