Small Pre-med schools, rural settings

I don’t know how they include it on the common data set, but Colorado residents at CC pay ‘no more than’ the cost of instate tuition. Is that merit? Is it need based? Really neither, just a resident’s benefit that can take tuition down to about $15k.

I would call that a discount…which is really what much ‘merit’ aid is.

3 Likes

Thanks. My example was an OOS student, though.

Right, but there are sometimes weird classifications for scholarships at schools that ‘don’t offer merit scholarships’ and the schools have to put them somewhere in the reporting for the common data set. Colorado College is Div 3 so doesn’t have athletic scholarships - except it does for men’s ice hockey and women’s soccer which it plays as Div 1 so those scholarships need to go somewhere in the reporting. It also has students who receive Daniels or Boettcher scholarships which have a need component but also are merit, and I’m sure there are other students who bring their own scholarships with them from their parents’ employers, from local organizations, from banks and the Elks and the boy scouts.

Whitman will also do a FA and merit pre-read before applying. My son was told $14,000 but ended up getting $18,000 per year. So I think it’s a “lowest amount” and could go higher.

2 Likes

What do you consider “low” and what would define Ivy type?

Look up Linfield sexual misconduct and anti-semitism.
They got some issues to deal with. Tread lightly.

2 Likes

My guess is Linfield is far beneath what the OP would look at. 67% in -state. 80%+ acceptance rate. Low ACTs.

Little prestige. It’s a college for the B-/C+ student.

1 Like

I’m curious how some of the prestige qualification goes. Here are the search results for biology majors at rural colleges capped at 9,000 students from College Board. Below are some of the institutions that have had some mentions here on the thread:

(University, graduation rate, 25-75 percentile SAT scores)
Truman State 75% graduation rate 1150-1350.
Linfield University 74% graduation rate 1040-1230
Susquehanna 72% graduation rate 1100-1290
Albion 70% graduation rate 990-1200
Cornell College 69% graduation rate 1100-1350
UC Merced 69% graduation rate 1000-1180

Is it the SAT score range that drives the prestige rating? Or some other factor? I suspect that for the majority of these universities, there is little name recognition amongst the general population. Then again, there are many excellent and highly competitive colleges that also have very little name recognition nationally. So I’m just curious what the difference is? (I have no ties to any of these universities, so this really is a question of wanting to learn others’ thoughts here.)

1 Like

From OP

“1. prefers low acceptance rate, but not true ivy league type schools for many reasons”

But this is the issue - they want their cake and to eat it too :slight_smile: Most the schools they describe won’t come close to $40K. The schools you describe - will be under (at least some).

2 Likes

OP, what is an Ivy League type school? And what are the reasons not to apply to those type of schools? It would help if you could clarify that.

Yes, I do realize that these are not going to be considered “near” Ivies (but I was looking at the other elements of that the OP was asking for, including likelihood of hitting that $40k mark).

But my question is more that you mentioned Linfield for its lack of prestige, but didn’t comment on the other colleges which seem to be clustered in a similar vicinity. So my question was more about what would make Linfield stand below the others in the category in terms of prestige, or whether they’re all pretty equally not-so-prestigious. :slight_smile:

I agree. Almost all the schools I can think of that I would put in this category are need blind and no longer give merit aid. Their prestige is enough that they do not need to offer merit to attract too students.

1 Like

Well - a few mentioned Linfield. I think many on the list are not what OP is looking for - but then people think that about what I suggested :slight_smile:

Truman State has a great rep and while not known, is far more than Linfield…UC Merced is a UC and that carries weight even though it has the low ACT. Yes, Albion and Susquehana are similar to Linfield.

Cornell - well, you can always say you went to Cornell . No one has to know where it’s located!! :slight_smile: That’s a block school though like Colorado and the OP turned down Col College - presumably for that reason.

Yes, OP needs to check out lesser known schools - but for pre-med, save the $$, get good grades and most importantly the MCAT - plus all the other stuff people mention pre-med need to do.

2 Likes

Sadly I know someone that says they went to Cornell all the time but leaves off that it was Cornell College.

1 Like

Blockquote

D isn’t very political, she’s in the middle. She would prefer a college that doesn’t focus on that too much though.

1 Like

That’s not sad - that shows they’re a solid marketer!!

She doesn’t want any of the true ivies. She knows a couple people that went to a couple of those schools, has heard about what it’s like, and doesn’t feel she would fit in. She also wants to play sports and double major, so she feels it would be a lot of stress.

Lol, I will agree with your statement. I have talked to her a lot about prestige vs cost, merit aid etc.

I don’t think you could/should batch all the Ivies into a box based on what people said.

The biggest thing they have in common is they share an athletic conference.

But so does Vanderbilt and Ole Miss. Stanford and Washington State. Northwestern and Nebraska.