Small School with Big School RahRah Feels

I am thinking Richmond and wake would be good choices and should be on our list to visit. Wesleyan possibility but may not be keen on CT. Tulane on list too. Also thinking bucknell, Lehigh and Lafayette but need to know more about their sports vibe.
Obviously none of these will work if kid goes nursing path. Penn would be kids ultimate reach but other choices would be Quinnipiac, Emory (also Reach), and then larger state schools that have direct entry.
All this helpful. Thank you.

2 Likes

Bucknells only claims-to-fame in football were the 1936 Orange Bowl and Greg Schiano (Rutgers HC). Keep in mind the Patriot League was originally created so the Ivies had someone to play in football. I think I went to one football game. Bucknell and Lehigh are much more about hoops than football and the league gets an automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament. Definitely spirit around hoops season. Lately Bucknell, Lehigh, Colgate or Holy Cross have made it to March Madness. Both Bucknell and Lehigh have put players in the NBA who are still playing (Mike Muscala, CJ McCollum)

Don’t know about Lafayette school spirit but understand that it is a very small school. When we visited we realized about 1/4 of the students are varsity athletes. Full set of D-I teams but in tiny student body. Just FYI

No one has responded to my suggestion about Villanova. Lots of school spirit there. Not a huge school.

2 Likes

Duke and Boston College

This might be interesting: It’s a list of all D1 FCS football schools, ranked by average attendance at home games. What about William and Mary? It’s not Alabama but it draws 10,000 spectators a game, the school is smallish and it’s in the south.

2 Likes

While the NESCAC LACs may be too small, Tufts could be a good choice.

I’ll third Miami Ohio, and I think that William and Mary could be a good choice, as well.

2 Likes

William & Mary and Wake check a lot of boxes but neither have nursing

I think you are over constrained. If nursing is in play, pick nursing school options and flex on size and location. Or just go to Pitt :wink:

1 Like

You’re right, I forgot that.

Will look into. Thx!

I think basketball would work too. I think it’s just school spirit/tradition she is looking for.

Here’s another list, of big FBS schools by ranked by attendance. The closer to the bottom you get, the more “football Saturday” you’re looking at.

Clemson seems like a good fit. 80k spectators per game.

https://collegefootballnews.com/rankings/college-football-attendance-rankings-2023-five-year-program-analysis

1 Like

Fascinating list and I think it shakes loose an option for OP - UDel. Over 90% capacity for games and a nursing program.

5 Likes

Boston College - tailgating and football every Saturday, plus HUGE school spirit about their tops-in-the-country hockey team. Lines out the door for the students to get into the student section for the hockey games. And a great nursing program.

3 Likes

https://www1.villanova.edu/university/nursing/academic-programs/undergraduate.html

Lafayette for sure.

1 Like

Villanova was my first thought as well.

Elon for warmer weather, good parties, and a newer nursing program that should be an easier admit.

2 Likes

College of Charleston - although not football. Has a pre- nursing

U of Tulsa is small and in the conference with SMU (til they leave), Rice, and more great spirit schools.

Someone did respond. I agree with tumagmom. I know many excellent students who were rejected from Villanova, including legacy kids. Sure apply, but admissions there are much harder than they were years ago, I think due in part to their basketball success.

3 Likes

Love Villanova but I thought OP asked specifically about football. Villanova is more known for basketball. My friend’s daughter is a student there and said the football games are not nearly as well attended as basketball. But for Bball it’s a super Rah Rah school…if you can get it.

Agreed. 16k kids filling a stadium to 90% isn’t Ohio State, but it’s probably pretty festive! Seems like they even have a really solid marching band.