Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

If you’re going to visit Wooster, Oberlin is only about 45 mins away. My D21 goes to Wooster, btw, and although I have no insight into the Jewish community as a whole, I did see a special Hillel event on the Sunday morning of Black and Gold weekend (parents and alumni weekend).

I think Oberlin is a wonderful school and definitely worth visiting, but you may not get the same level of merit you will at some other schools.

1 Like

Oberlin will have less merit than say a Wooster - because it’s a higher “ranked” school and bigger name - for what that’s worth. Kenyon is not a big name - but is becoming bigger and a great school. I know someone who is applying to Mac…but this mom went to an Ivy league and she’s never heard of Mac…so there’s all sort of that stuff. But Oberlin is certain “harder to get into” and more well known than a Wooster…so therefore, they can get more money. A steak at Ruth Chris costs more than the one at Longhorn. Doens’t mean it’s a better steak…but it’s got a price point around it’s pedigree, etc.

Wooster has a decent size Jewish pop for the school size (estimated 6%), has a wonderful reputation…in fact, one of the boys from our synogauge in Nashville is a freshman. The school was too small for my daughter - but it’s a fine school and I wouldn’t hesitate to send a child there…or at least certainly discover it. And yes, the price tag will be better assuming no need based aid - than some others. I know a Vandy prof whose son chose Wooster and they thought it was an excellent school for research, etc.

This is no different than say a U Del vs. a UVA, etc. One will give you merit to “compete” - the other relies moreso on its reputation and gets lots of full pay.

Much of what people end up paying for is a name or perception…that’s a hard choice to make…spending thousands extra for perceived pedigree but it’s a choice so many make every day.

3 Likes

Since this student is interested in Hofstra she might also want to take a look at Adelphi University and LIU/Post (Greenvale campus).

Adelphi has early assurance programs with a few osteopathic medical schools as well as one medical school. Note- once you apply to an early assurance medical school program it immediately becomes a reach. DO would be less of a reach.

LIU has a genetic counseling program (masters) as well as early assurance pharmacy school- which gives more non-medical school options.

I am only mentioning these schools because Hofstra seems to be remaining on the list.

CUNY (Brooklyn College) has a BS/MD program if she is interested- another reach.

No sure if someone already explained this…Ohio University has a very large presence in the allied health professions, has nursing, and there is a D.O. school on the campus as well.

And as I said earlier…your daughter can take the prerequisite courses for medical school at just about any college in this country (music conservatory and schools of art excluded).

1 Like

This student was described as being “very social” and not a “party” person. To me, she would enjoy a busy campus with an active and involved student body… with clubs, student organizations etc that are well attended.

This does not describe Hofstra or the other 2 schools that I added. As far as going into the city, yes it could be done, but it could get pricey (depending on what you do) and there is no guarantee that she will find friends who are willing to accompany her every weekend (many go home and the campuses can get very quiet). Will she really be happy visiting her cousins in NJ every weekend? If you choose a school like Hofstra or Adelphi, you need to understand what you are choosing (not saying she won’t be happy).

IMO LIU Brooklyn would be the better choice if she wants this particular area of NY- she is already in the city and it might be a better social fit.

As noted above, you can do medical school prerequisites at all schools (or almost all), and the student may change her mind for a variety of reasons.

For typical college students, “visiting cousins over the weekend” is… not fun. It’s good perhaps once a term and it would matter for younger kids but in college it’s burdensome and throws you back to HS years.
A "social’ student needs an active campus - and a college in a rural area but residential and lots of money for student entertainment will offer a LOT to do whereas a commuter or suitcase school will just empty out so that the school doesn’t have to offer much if anything.

6 Likes

I agree with @MYOS1634 . A social student should not be planning to visit relatives most weekends. Maybe twice per term, but that’s it. Or the relatives could come and take her to lunch. Leaving on weekends does not help a college student establish a college life with the college students.

But back to the question…the OP stated they weren’t looking for anymore public universities to apply to and decided therefore against applying to College of Charleston. We toured there, and really the school has more the feel of a LAC than a university. Charleston is a great town, and the school is right downtown. The Judaic center at C of C is a very active one…as is the Jewish community in the town.

In addition, with a 3.95 unweighted GPA, it’s very possible this student could get some merit aid, and admission to their honors college.

I’d suggest taking a second look at this college.

3 Likes

I agree with you. The OP indicated that this student would not mind attending Hofstra and visiting her cousins on the weekends. To me, this is not a good idea and I agree there is a HS feel to it. I thought my latest post communicated the importance of a social and active campus, but maybe I was not clear.

I see no reason not to add UDel and the College of Charleston as they seem to check almost all the boxes, but I am not the OP (who doesn’t seem to want more public schools). The OP indicated that Hofstra was staying on the list, but did not state why. I would not choose Hofstra over UMD, but again, I am not this student.

3 Likes

Hofstra isn’t where most people think it is (that is, folks outside the NY Metro region). But no harm in exploring. In most of its disciplines, it cannot hold a candle to UMD, but again, worth exploring. It has certainly done a terrific job communicating that it’s “NYC Adjacent” and that it holds its own academically and intellectually with a lot of more competitive schools. YMMV.

Merit and Honors (you have to apply) are a given for this student. How much merit is the question. She may very well qualify for the Charleston Fellows as my daughter has. Sometimes being well above average in stats/resumes has its advantages whereas at a higher ranked school you would be one of many. If my daughter keeps her grades up, we are tuition free OOS and the Hillel, as you say, is superactive. Previously, however, mom said she removed Charleston from the list. To me, it’s a much better choice given the description than Furman or Rhodes and even Tulane where if you don’t ED you’re most likely not getting in….but the OP has stated those are schools on her list and of course she needs to follow her path (or her daughters) as it’s their life. But I wholeheartedly agree.

1 Like

My daughter got merit and honors at C of C, did not get into Tulane (was actually her only rejection out of 20, although she did not demonstrate any interest).

1 Like

Tulane is brutal. My son’s valedictorian is on scholarship at Vandy. Rejected at Tulane.

Their admission director is a rock star. He’s got it fine tuned. You need to demonstrate. You need to ED although your can get in EA.

My daughter got into 17/21. She didn’t like Tulane - campus wasn’t nice to her but r wry one who goes loves it. She liked LSU a lot but discovered wasn’t good for a Jewish student.

Funny kids going there…we’ll our two…over applied although it worked for us…lots of wonderful opportunities.

Charleston came through aid wise. But very late. Wed still have chosen them but they had like three increases in April.

3 Likes

My daughter went to a school about 2 hours from home. As a freshman, she came home one weekend in October because she was feeling a little lonely and it was great that we could make that happen. After that, we rarely saw her during the school year - she was just too busy with school and involved in things.

She is now back at that school for grad school. We’ve seen her a few weekends this semester but only because SHE had things she needed to do in Denver. For example, she is currently in Las Vegas for a wedding and needs to be picked up at the airport tonight and then will hurry back to campus tonight. Next weekend she’s coming down because I have tickets to an art show that I bought last winter before she even applied to grad school. It will be a quick trip and she’ll hurry back to campus again, and it’s unlikely we’ll see her before Christmas. She even has to work Thanksgiving.

College students are busy. They do not travel 2+ hours to go home every weekend. My daughter can only do it because, as a grad student, she has a car (never had one as an undergrad) and now she really doesn’t have time; she works Sun, Mon, and Wed, plays club hockey, teaches on Fridays, has her own classes on Tues and Thurs.

I often see posts that say students want to live in a city to go to clubs, movies, the theater, art shows, museums, etc but where are they going to find the time (or money)?

5 Likes

But does Ohio medical schools give preference like other states to its residence?
If this is the case, what is the value for Maryland student to be there?
Probably very little chance for merit aid for these medical programs for OOS students. Am I missing something?

You might call and ask. Ohio U has great merit aid and the programs requirements don’t seem onerous like a 28 ACT but it does say Ohio residents only.

If interested you might call and ask to make sure you’ve got all information. A lot of times you learn things in conversation that are hard to glean from a webpage.

There isn’t much merit aid for medical schools anywhere. Out of state or instate…

1 Like

But perhaps if it’s a guarantee program a school like Ohio U that has solid undergrad aid might come through ?

Still would need to find out about the guarantee program for OOS.

I go back to the OP says her student may need some hand holding. Most large publics won’t work …not even sure small privates will have that but it does appear in the Ohio U program there is mentorship. Ohio U is literally in the middle of nowhere but has a Jewish life. Surprisingly less than a 6 hr drive from DC.

I don’t believe Ohio University has a guaranteed acceptance into their DO program along with the undergrad acceptance.

Regardless…medical school costs are usually funded with loans, loans and more loans.

At this point, this poster should be looking for an undergrad school that will meet the student’s needs…and the family cost criteria. Fact is…premed prerequisite courses can be taken everywhere (except conservatories and arts schools like SCAD).

I mentioned Ohio University because they used to offer merit aid to OOS undergrads…and it’s a great school (says this proud alum).

1 Like

Sorry I meant undergrad aid just for the four years…not the Med school portion.l!!

We do need to visit Hofstra to see how good/bad it is. I know my DD. She will be much more happy at school like Hofstra (with limited social activities) vs. some small school with a lot of activities in rural OH or PA. Hofstra has 11k students. I am sure she would find many friends there. If you are talking about very small schools like Juniata or Wooster, I am not so sure.

1 Like