Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Hunter’s acceptance rate is 40%, lower than both Bing and Stony Brook, and its middle 50 SAT range is 1170–1340. You are correct that it is a safety for a 1400+ student in a way that Bing or Stony Brook probably are not, but there is a long way between it and rock-bottom.

1 Like

Sometimes the “affordable safety which I’m going to hate” can be a challenging and inspiring place!

3 Likes

The actual date shows that a majority (55%) of the students who enrolled at UMD for Fall2021, applied test optional.

There is no data regarding the other 45,445 students who applied, nor the other 15,521 students who were admitted.

I believe that data regarding all of the students who applied and were accepted would be much more useful, but I have not found any such data.

2 Likes

As I stated, these numbers are the number of students that UMD is prepared to accommodate. It is NOT the number of students who actually enroll. In the Fall pf 2021, UMD had a total of 289 Undergraduate Physics Majors, of which 56 were new Freshman

1 Like

The term “Limited Enrollment” has a very specific meaning at UMD. I won’t go into that. I am not sure of how you view having a Major at UMD, or other Universities.

As an example, My D’s fiance is a Chemical Engineer who graduated from UMD. His purpose in picking that Major was to become the most proficient Chemical Engineer that he could be.

What would be the purpose of him taking some Psychology courses, or Nutrition, or History, or any number of others.

He is now having a very successful career as a Chemical Engineer, because that was the focus of his education.

Given all that, every student, in every Major at UMD, is required to take a certain number of elective courses, of their choice, to graduate.

Perhaps you are seeking something that is more of a Liberal Arts education, in which case, UMD is not the best choice.

3 Likes

UNC-Asheville looks like it might be a safety.

• has an active Hillel
  • 3800 undergrads
  • total cost of attendance is under $40,000 which might be affordable (there seems to be a $20,000 employee benefit, student might get merit)
  • pre-health advising
1 Like

You all are being very hard on this mom.

3 Likes

Again you’re ‘assuming’. There are OOS schools where if you overperform you can go cheap.

It’s not the norm but my daughter has a scholarship that’s $3k more than tuition at Charleston. So it pays part of the dorm. OOS.

In part bcuz a student will be somewhere for four years, day after day after day. Yes, it’s up to the family where to send their child but OP is basically saying my kid will suffer through UMD. It may come to that. But why not try to not make it happen ?

It’s out of love… :slight_smile:

Wow. Almost 600 posts over 6 months and still going! :grinning:

@momsearcheng would you mind posting a recap to let us know what schools are currently on your list and where you feel you may need more input/suggestions?

3 Likes

I understand that everyone thinks they’re helping but when she says over and over again that UMD is not the goal and it’s really a safety (of last resort) AND they are working hard to find good private school options why the need to keep pressing?

4 Likes

This student doesn’t like the private safety school either. I believe they feel it’s too small. I think she was told she qualifies for merit at this school.

1 Like

This thread has its own life :slight_smile:
People give suggestion and I just responded.

I post the list recently, but got another 20 responses :). I was told I need to expand it. Since DD was very sick on School SAT day and May SAT is the day before major final, she still does not have SAT score. She is signed to take it in June…

Here is very expanded list (over 20 schools!) DD will be very happy to land in any of schools on the match list (but UMD) with scholarship. Match list is our focus. From what I know happened this year and our visits, it is possible for her to land in one of the match schools with the scholarship. We can cut both safety and reach schools…

Safety : Ursinus, St. Mary’s in MD (no desired language), Juniata, Wooster (frankly only Ursinus will be seriously considered)

Match: UMD, Dickinson, Gettysburg, Union, Rhodes, Muhlenberg, Hobart and William Smith, George Washington, Denison (no desired language)

Reach: Case Western, Washington and Lee, University of Rochester, Trinity College, Richmond, Tulane (?), Lafayette (?), Davidson.

Depending on SAT she may apply to some public direct admit like VCU, Upitt etc.(up to 4), but that is a long shot.

4 Likes

No clue why you have anyone on safety but Ursinus. You say it’s the only one you’d consider. If you want consider, don’t apply. And if there’s a language that your daughter wants to study and can’t, then why apply to a school?

You don’t like Wooster we know (bats, etc) so why on your list, etc.

A safety needs to be a definite in, affordable, and one that you can see yourself at/get excited for for four years. So you should prune your safety list.

I think you have two categories of reach - and depending on SAT score, I’d probably move Dennison there. GW could be probematic…just depends.

It’s a fine list - i forget all the stats. But I would remove any schools she is not excited to attend.

9 Likes

Our list without bloating is:
Safety : Ursinus, UMD (90% she will be accepted)

Match: Dickinson, Gettysburg, Union, Rhodes, Muhlenberg, Hobart and William Smith, George Washington

Reach: Case Western, Washington and Lee, University of Rochester, Trinity College, Richmond, Lafayette, Davidson

6 Likes

Current GPA is 3.98 unweighted and 4.78 weighted. Actually probably even higher since college classes were not updated in school system yet. All schools on the list are technically test optional for fall of 2023.

1 Like

100% agree on what you said about Oberlin. Same goes for Connecticut College.

I wouldn’t categorize Washington & Lee as a place for students looking for Jewish life.

I have a question. Where does SHE want to apply? What’s on HER list?

Also, how does she do on standardized tests? Her MCAT score is going to be a big factor.

2 Likes

If merit scholarships are needed for affordability, are “safety” and “match” based on the chance for getting the needed merit scholarships? (Admission without affordability = rejection.)

1 Like

Her love list :slight_smile: from schools that we visited or know quite a lot:

1. Dickinson
  2. Muhlenberg
  3. Gettysburg, Rhodes (could not visit)
3 Likes

Correct! Admission without affordability = rejection. That is why we are not focusing on LOVE.

1 Like