Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

That’s what it was - thanks

Just remember your odds of merit likely will be reduced substantially if you are TO.

I say likely because I can’t say this 100% - but your best merit is going to go to the best students - the ones that stand out - and TO does not stand out. TO just gets them a bigger pool from which to choose and allows them to show they are more popular (our apps went up 60%, etc.). If you chase merit, you better take the test!!! Unless you go to a school that doesn’t use it like Arizona (big merit) or I think Miami Ohio bases merit just on GPA.

Some schools - like the Florida, Alabama, etc. require it.

You may say - well we’re not applying to them - but a 4.0 with a 1500 is different than just a 4.0 - if you’re the one awarding.

If your daughter can do one more semester at a CC, then cost wise UMD is a big winner.

I’m not the pre-med expert but I remember many saying if you go the CC route, med schools will hold it against you (at least if you do the required classes there).

Won’t the classes be smaller at UMD?

She is coming in with her intro science prerequisites, which means she has to take higher level sciences. Those classes should be smaller.

I always thought you had to be at the top to get significant merit. There could also be other factors that come into play. Don’t underestimate the strength of the other applicants. That’s why I keep suggesting other colleges, just in case. Lots of superstars out there are looking for merit.

1 Like

Thank you for providing more clarity on how the financial system might work. These are some of the universities that I mentioned upthread that your daughter might want to consider as extremely likely admittances that have 3-5k undergrads and within the geographic area you designated. I just started going through the list, and all of these would fall in your budget of $20-25k (some are even much less). Just want to give another plug for finding schools that your family would find affordable and would find themselves on your D’s love list that would also be extremely likely to admit her with sufficient financial aid.

York College

• $22,350 Tuition & Feeds
  • $12,050 Room & Board
  • $34,350 List Price
  • $13,410 tuition (after 40% discount from work)
  • 97% receive institutional grants or scholarships, averaging $8,078
  • About $17,400 after discounts

Rider University

• $35,850 tuition & fees (appears there was a tuition reset between SY20-21 & SY21-22)
  • $16,610 Room & Board
  • $52,460 List Price
  • $21,510 tuition (after 40% tuition discount from work)
  • 100% receive institutional grants or scholarships, averaging $26,570
  • About $11,550 after discounts

Endicott

• $36,614 tuition & fees
  • $16,534 room & board
  • $53,148 List Price
  • $21,968 tuition (after 40% discount from work)
  • 95% receive institutional grants or scholarships, averaging $14,088
  • About $24,100 after discounts

Adelphi

• $42,475 tuition & fees
  • $16,580 room & board
  • $59,005 List Price
  • $25,365 tuition (after 40% discount from work)
  • 89% receive institutional grants or scholarships, averaging $21,283
  • About $20,600 after discounts

Roger Williams

• $39,594 tuition & fees
  • $16,012 room & board
  • $55,606 List Price
  • $23,576 tuition (after 40% discount from work)
  • 98% receive institutional grants/scholarships, averaging $18,721
  • About $21,000 after discounts
2 Likes

Somehow you missed how discount work. Example - Endicott. 36K tuition. If school will give $14 K merit. What is left is more than a half. Work will give us 36/2=18 then *0.6 = 10.8K discount (Discount is 60% of half of the tuition up to full tuition. If a student has a merit over a half, then amount is smaller! Fees are not included) Not even close 22K you listed. That will make it 53-24= 29k. Since fees are extra, estimated cost of attendance is minimum $30k.

@momsearcheng Is this correct? And would this be considered affordable?

Endicott

• $36,614 tuition & fees
  • $16,534 room & board
  • $53,148 List Price
  • ($10,984) less employer tuition (half tuition, estimate 40% tax = $36614 / 2 x 60%)
  • ($14,088) less average merit
  • About $28,076 family cost after discounts

Example Rider
School give 26,570. Work will subtract that amount from tuition first. 35,850-26570=9280 *0.6=5568. Cost of attendance 35580-26570-5568=3442 + room and board+fees= 21K not 11K as you listed.

Well, yes – if your employer is giving 50% off your net price after the merit aid is applied. I think that based on your previous description of your employer’s offer, it appeared that their 50% offer was based on the tuition prior to merit aid deductions, not after.

4 Likes

Close but I need to check fees. Also school will increase cost every year, so ideally we want scholarship to be a bit more than half. Plus we would like stay in 25K range initially because of the same reasons (it will become higher every year).

Nope. They are giving 50% up to full tuition. They request to upload all scholarships and charges from school. They subtract any fees that are not tuition. They make sure that no money go to room and board and they do not go over tuition before taxes!

I know you have concerns about OOS publics, but what about Rowan?

1 Like

So many great suggestions. OP- until there are actual scores in hand, so much of our calculations on your behalf are really pointless. There’s no question that many of the fine colleges that have been suggested are likely to admit your D. But getting enough merit to work with your somewhat tricky math isn’t going to work unless her scores are consistent with that 3.95 GPA and we don’t know that yet.

And much as I get your dislike of UMD, it is so far superior academically to some of the colleges being suggested here-- if it were me, I’d be singing the UMD love to my kid a few times a week just to try and shift the tone of the conversation a bit!

2 Likes

It sounds like the employer piece is up to a maximum of 50% tuition (excluding fees).

Full tuition (excluding fees)
Less merit awards
Net tuition after merit
If the net is less than 50% tuition, that is the gross pay to you before taxes.
If the net is more than 50% tuition, you get 50% tuition as gross pay before taxes.

And this is why you keep saying you need 50% tuition merit! Did I get it right???

3 Likes

Correct!

And the goal is to pay taxes and room and board and stay in 25K budget. (Unless we will have a miracle with full ride that I do not expect.)

1 Like

Thank you for the confirmation.

Thanks everyone for indulging me as I fumbled through this exercise.

1 Like

Technically I agree. Practically that means DD should forget about her dream and consider only plan B. We have it. We can do it, but it is plan B. I first want to work on plan A.

Can you work on Plan A while also trying to build up Plan B, just in case the Plan A schools don’t come in at an acceptable cost?

3 Likes

Plan B is simple. UMD and degree in psychology. No med school. Grad school. Done. I do not need to work on it.

If I understand correctly, she will apply to medical school if she receives significant merit to one of the schools on her list. If the schools are not affordable, she will attend UMD and will not apply to medical school.

Is that correct?