Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Any chance you have grandparents who live in Florida? She has both the GPA and if 1400 on SAT that too. Some of the FL publics are smaller.

I wonder how different this is from the previous grandparent incentive. Hoping someone can post a current article.

2 Likes

Good idea- there are some small schools in Fla that would work- check her boxes.

nope

I think I listed before. Except couple top kids most attend UMD, UMBC, Towson, VaTech, Penn State, Upitt, and Indiana. Then you get students all over the county. Ohio, Florida, DE, SC, NC, California etc. I think for this year at most there were 10 kids who where in LACS mostly athletes. I have seen one St. Olaf, one top student Williamsburg, 1 Pomona, 1 Haverford, 1 Pratt, 1 Bucknell, 1 Villanova. I found last year there were one at Dickinson, one in Gettysburg.

5 Likes

Thank you.

Okā€¦I think you have been provided with many, many schools that might be a good fit for your daughter. I have 3 more to add:

1. Clark University (active Hillel, 60% of students receive merit- not sure how much but worth investigating)

2. Hobart and William Smith Colleges (I mentioned this earlier but itā€™s worth mentioning again)

3. Juniata - (has a Hillel, the website says 100% of full time students receive merit or FA- not sure how much but worth investigating)

Can your D meet with her GC and ask which schools might provide merit?

1 Like

As a point of reference, if I did the calculations correctly above for Dickinson, I did the same think for Clark, St. Olaf, and Trinity U. These are not all in the geographic zone OP wanted, but they are all schools that U. of Richmond considers peer institutions, and OPā€™s D loved U. of Richmond.

• Clark, 87% of students without need received merit aid, family cost would be $28,602
  • St. Olaf, 95% of students without need received merit aid, family cost would be $29,994
  • Trinity U., 95% of students without need received merit aid, family cost would be $28,713
  • Elon was checked and would come out to $32,494ā€¦about the same as Muhlenberg

These are still over your budget of $25k, but are closer than the schools on your daughterā€™s love list. The more flexibility your family has, the closer you are likely to get to the kind of experience your daughter is seeking at a price you want to pay. And coming from the Baltimore/D.C. area there are great direct flights to most parts of the country, so travel need not be a big headache.

6 Likes

She plans to do it next week. Hobart is on the list. Juniata we plan to visit. I need to research Clark.

1 Like

Honestly - you can see % and $ amount given - do some math - in the common data set - you can get a sense of who gives what.

Whatā€™s very interesting is all the analysis @AustenNut continues to do.

When the cost would be for the four schools listed a few messages above - and of course itā€™s the averages - but they were all $28-29K except Elon a bit higher.

This shows me - this is the price this level of school needs to hit to fill their class - the ā€œtransaction priceā€ so like schools will probably end up in a similar range.

3 Likes

St. Olaf is religious (not for Jewish kid). Do you mean Trinity U in Texas? It is great school but way too far. Even to drop a car there would be almost impossible. We are not going cross country. Then we can add Alaska or Hawaii. You can fly there tooā€¦

Just curious - why is the distance thing an issue? Drive six hours, fly three hours? If itā€™s the right fitā€¦

Letā€™s say SMU offered their most prestigious program and it was free.

Or thereā€™s a student on here who got, I think 75% tuition at Trinity in TX.

Youā€™re going to give that up - based on - Ohio is ok because itā€™s 8 hour drive but San Antonio isnā€™t because itā€™s a 2 hours flight?

Thatā€™s the tight bubble youā€™re creatingā€¦

Just using those schools as an example - not saying theyā€™re the right ones for you.

1 Like

We want to be able to drive if necessary in short notice in case of emergency. I can drive to Atlanta. I cannot drive to Texas.

1 Like

My D attended school in NC. The airport is 1 hour from our house, the flight was a little over an hour, and she was 30 min from the airport. It was very easy.

My other kid was a 4 hour drive.

My daughter had the - my boyfriend is in Denver melt down early on. A few weeks ago, our dog, which my kids grew up with, we were going to have to euthanize him.

Guess what - flew her home both times. Yes, itā€™s unexpected expense - but if your tuition savings is that much and thatā€™s what you need - it all factors in.

Itā€™s an individual callā€¦but again, you are shrinking your potential pie immensely and the places where you can likely hit the target you seek.

Last time we visited San Antonio we had to fly to Austin and rent a car to save on tickets for the family. We are not doing it. Sorry.

1 Like

@momsearcheng

We had only one criteria for our kids and it had to do with distance. Colleges either needed to be within 3 hour drive from our houseā€¦or within an hour of a relative or close friend. We have family all over the place as well as good friends. And there are a LOT of colleges within a 3 hour drive (we chose that as it could be done round trip in one day). Soā€¦I understand that you donā€™t want to look in Texas if you have no one there in case if an emergency.

But IIRC you said within an 8 hour drive, correct? From MD, there are tons of colleges as you are finding out that are well within that distance criteria.

I do wish you would rethink some of the OOS public universities. Your daughter has a fine GPA, and potential to do well on the SAT or ACT. There are some very fine publics that have been mentioned already that could very much come in at or below your out of pocket budget.

4 Likes

Exactly my point. And we had older daughter fall through cracks even with friends and family in Atlanta when she needed help due to Covid when everyone is afraid to visit sick kidā€¦

But if itā€™s an emergency, presumably only one parent needs to fly, so you are not looking at a huge incremental cost.

I wouldnā€™t turn down a great school at a good cost for an emergency thatā€™s very likely to not happen and that might cost you a couple of thousand tops to get to where she is if it does.

2 Likes

I have heard only wonderful things about St. Olaf and also that it is very welcoming to students of all religions. I would definitely research it before ruling it out.

4 Likes

We totally made sure our friends and relatives were on board for anything when we sent our kid 3000 miles away to college. When she had H1N1, my very very good friend took her food and visited. When she had emergency surgery (at 7 am the next morning after being admittedā€¦no way for me to get there by that time), a relative went and spent the week with the kid. Yesā€¦this is a responsibility other folks need to be willing to undertake.

We were very lucky.

3 Likes

Actually again from our personal experience with older kid, I would try to keep youngest as close as possibleā€¦ I want to have a chance to visit more often and check on DD.

3 Likes