Smith and Ogg

<p>I'm filling out the housing app right now and I had some questions about Smith and Ogg. I just talked to someone who goes to UW and told me to definitely put Ogg as one of top choices but so many people on this board have said Ogg is terrible and the worst dorm. So now I have no idea whether to keep it as a top choice or put it as one of the last. Also, for the new Smith hall, what do people know about it? Is it going to be a party dorm or more of a quiet one? I'm basically pretty confused now so could someone please give me some advice on these two dorms? Thanks</p>

<p>While you can't know for sure the type of dorm it'll be, it is a Southeast dorm. Along with Ogg and Witte (which Smith might be replacing I think they're taking Witte down) the Southeast dorms are generally the big party dorms. It's supposed to be pretty nice. The Southeast dorms are closer to the "action" (ie State Street, Langdon street with the frats) and are larger buildings with smaller rooms. They're also closer to most of the academic buildings.</p>

<p>Then there's the Lakeshore dorms. Those are on the far side of the campus right down by the lake (hence the name) and include Kronshage and Slichter. They're generally quiet and smaller. The rooms are also bigger and nicer and they're located in more of a serene setting rather than the Southeast dorms which are right on city blocks. </p>

<p>It's really more of what you're into. If you're a big party person, you'll love the Southeast dorms. If you're into more of a quiet person who enjoys doing things rather than party constantly, I'd recommend the Lakeshore dorms. </p>

<p>Haha keep in mind this is coming from someone who lives in a private res hall, but from seeing all the dorms and being on the campus, I have a good amount of knowledge on how things run in that area.</p>

<p>Ogg is being torn down after this year. You don't want it.</p>

<p>And how do you like private dorms? They are a thousand more a year and we were afraid that they would house most privileged students. But, what is your take?</p>

<p>I think it depends on which one you live in. I live in The Highlander, which is different than the others. It's a good mix between in-state and out-of-state. If you're afraid of being around the "more privileged students" then I would avoid Towers and Statesider. Towers is huge and hosts mostly Northeast students and Statesider is smaller and fits that same bill. They're also huge party dorms.</p>

<p>Lastly, there's the Langdon, and I'm pretty sure a standard double at The Langdon is cheaper than the public dorms. The building is as you'd expect not as nice as the others but the students there are more from Wisconsin and away from the Northeast.</p>