Smoking at Bard

Can anyone explain Bard’s reputation for cigarette smoking? It seems that the general trend, in the US at least, is a prohibition of smoking on campus, but I have seen, across multiple platforms, that “everyone smokes”, or memes of Bardians making fun of themselves with piles of cigarette butts on campus. Seriously more concerned about this than weed. Can anyone elaborate?

Hello I’m a freshman here and I can tell you that all those memes are intentionally blown out of proportion for humor and many people do not take part in cigarette smoking including myself. Yes on several occasions I’ve seen littering of butts around campus but I have yet to see piles of them in the middle of campus. I’d say more people are juuling now instead which helps prevent littering which is good. People smoke but it’s not as extreme as some portray it to be and I can assure you not everyone smokes.

When you first get to college you realize all the gates are down. People do dumb things like smoke cigarettes because they are finally free. Having gone to Bard College, as a freshman, I smoked too and I can tell you it’s a natural reaction to being on your own, not unique to Bard College.