Smoking Roommate

<p>So, my son checked his housing account for any updates (he was hoping to get into honors housing) and was surprised to see that his roommate had changed. He now has a roommate who is a smoker. My son is extremely allergic to smoke (eyes water and burn, he coughs constantly and is prone to secondary infections). I realize smoking is not allowed in the rooms, but he is so sensitive to smoke that it will be a terrible learning environment for him. I emailed housing, but I am sure they are receiving hundreds of request per week to change. The reply I received was that there were no “suites” available. I reponded to say that maybe they misunderstood my request and explained that his current situation was a health concern and we were just looking for a different roommate. I mentioned that I can easily get a note from his doctor if needed. Any thoughts? The last minute change with housing left little time for us to resolve this, as I think that I read that everything was final at this point. Thanks for any feedback you can give.</p>

<p>Call Janine in housing. She’s often on CC. Tell her what your issue is.</p>

<p>As one who is hyper-sensitive to odors and fragrances myself, I would obtain a clearly worded document from the doctor outlining potential/probable health risks to your son and send it certified mail to the housing office, but also to Student Health and the Honors College if he is a member there. And I would do that immediately.</p>

<p>In your cover letter, point out that all you are asking it that your son be provided with a roommate who does not present a PROBABLE THREAT to his health.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>BUT, as M2CK suggests, I’d call Janine first. :-)</p>

<p>If it s a medical condition get a note from the Doctor faxed from their office to housing so they have it on file. This might help. Don’t forget to have them put his CWID number on it.</p>

<p>CaMom2four: Any resolution to your son’s situation?</p>