SMU vs TCU vs U Miami vs possibly Syracuse for Communications & Business

My daughter got in to several universities but is considering SMU and University of Miami for Communications (Broadcast Journalism or Fashion Media) and Business. Her first choice was Syracuse but has been waitlisted for the Dual program in Communications and Business. She also loved Boston University but didn’t get in. She has also been waitlisted at NYU. We have visited all schools and she really saw herself in New England or the East Coast but is now having to make a decision between schools in the South which she is not opposed to. She really loved the campus at SMU and would probably fit it but she also loved Miami. She really doesn’t know what to do as she still is holding some hope for Syracuse. We live in Colorado and even though she got into both CSU and CU and a couple schools in CA like Chapman with fantastic merit scholarships she won’t even consider them.
At this point we are just trying to figure out which is the better school overall for her interests academically, internships, networking, etc. Any advice would be great!

I can’t speak to the programs your daughter is looking at. My son is in a similar spot to your daughter as a WL for Syracuse. He applied to Miami as well - and though he was ultimately WL’d there as well I (as a parent) was Ok with that. The more I looked into Miami and their housing issues the more it became clear that wasn’t going to work. You might want to look into if you’re not already aware. There is a significant on-campus housing shortage so a lot of kids get pushed to off-campus housing and the costs are pretty outrageous. I’m sure a great school with great kids and programs but couldn’t stomach an already expensive school becoming more-so.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Yes, I had heard about the housing shortage at Miami from multiple people living in the area. We visited two weeks ago and that issue didn’t seem to come up as they were highlighting that they were building new dorms and housed freshman and sophomores, but I agree that is a great concern of mine. She got a good merit scholarship but it already is such an expensive school that I can’t imagine having to pay even more for housing…
SMU is also a very expensive school pretty much the same price. Just want to make sure if we are looking at such expensive schools if at least the academics are worth the money or which might be worth more.

1 Like

SMU and Miami really aren’t the South.

It sounds like she’s doubling - which is good with journalism. You don’t want a journalism only degree.

Internships will be based on her hustle and desire - and if it’s tv, radio, magazines - they’ll be in both Dallas and Miami. If she wants broadcast, everyone has an iPhone today - so everyone can practice all the time vs. when I went to Syracuse.

Don’t count on WL. SU put 30% of all applicants on the WL. Imagine that. Yes, they admitted over 300 (of 12K on it) but you can be rest assured those weren’t Newhouse students and they were likely full pay.

SMU or Miami - I’d go Miami personally but it’s personal choice. They’re both fine. Just make sure you get a 2nd major as Journalism is a low paying, low success rate career.

Best of luck.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.