So if we plan a second visit

<p>When would be the best time to go for a second visit? We have already signed on the dotted line, but since our initial visit in April, DS changed his intended major to CS, so I would like him to get a feel for that department, and also give him the chance to talk with reps for CBHP and University Fellows so he can decide which program he wants to apply to (both have their appeal). I also just want him to be 100% sure that he is really done looking already, and feels like Alabama is where he belongs.</p>

<p>Also, it is quite expensive to fly from our west coast home to Birmingham. It is considerably cheaper ($250+ per person) to fly in to Atlanta or Nashville. How are the drives from those areas? I read that it is a little over 3 hours from Atlanta to Tuscaloosa, so was thinking it might be worth saving some money by adding a couple of hours to our drive. Opinions? Other alternative airports?</p>

<p>Easy drive from ATL. If you choose ATL, remember that ATL is EST, Tuscaloosa CST. Also look for flights into Huntsville.</p>

<p>Maybe look at Capstone Scholars Day, which is typically around MLK weekend in January. Here’s info from last year [Capstone</a> Scholars Day - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/csd/]Capstone”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/csd/)</p>

<p>Also, if he’s interested in both programs, he can apply to both. He does not have to choose one or the other.</p>

<p>the drive from ATL to Ttown is an easy 3 hours. Straight shot down I-20 going west to Ttown.</p>

<p>When would you like to visit? What month?</p>

<p>You can try HSV airport, but likely more expensive. You can also try a MS airport. Memphis may also be about 3 hours away, but there isn’t an easy interstate to take. </p>

<p>Nashville would be about 3 1/2 hrs as well. Straight down I-65…and then west on I-20…also easy.</p>

<p>ATL is only two hours further than BHM (which is an hour from campus). Most cities can fly direct to ATL, so compared to connecting flights for BHM (if necessary), the total travel time might be same or less. It’s an easy drive, I have done it a few times. Add in some extra time dealing with the much larger airport, car rental, etc. If the scheduling works, and you stand to save hundreds, it’s a good option. Also look into Huntsville (HSV). About 2.5 hrs from UA, sometimes fares can be better than BHM. Might have to connect from your home town, so consider total travel time.</p>

<p>BTW…your son can apply to both CBH and UFE…it’s not one or the other.</p>

<p>Avoid the Friday before home football games.</p>

<p>Dr. Cordes is the head of the CS dept and is easy to talk to. You may want to consider speaking with someone in MIS too and meeting with the students in the capstone project.</p>

<p>My son is a CS student so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.</p>

<p>I have a related question. I am going to bama for their debate tournament, and I could possibly (hopefully) be going down for both a UFE interview and a Blount interview. Do you think it would be possible to convince the department heads to let me do the two interviews on the day I come for debate in January? Or should I plan now on making 3 separate trips?</p>

<p>*Do you think it would be possible to convince the department heads to let me do the two interviews on the day I come for debate in January? *</p>

<p>UFE may not have their decisions yet as to who they’ll be interviewing at that point. When in January will you be going? The decisions on who to interview come late in January.</p>

<p>The second weekend of January. OK, so minimum of 2 trips. Any chance of convincing the Blount people?</p>

<p>A visit is nice, but not always necessary. Especially for those who have already decided (or are very close to deciding) on UA, a lot of additional info can be gathered via phone calls, emails, and even Skypes. Local recruiters can put you in contact with the right people…and surely many on CC can help (via PMs) to give further info on CBHP and UFE and various majors. </p>

<p>The Eng’g Department has student ambassadors who are excellent. Try to find out who the current one is representing CS. </p>

<p>I remember my S getting a phone call 2 years ago now from a recent (employed!) aero graduate of UA about the time he was deciding. It was a very pleasant surprise for him to be able to talk with this former UA student.</p>