So.. schools can update your FAFSA?

<p>I get an email telling me that my FAFSA was processed after a change was made yesterday. Too bad I didn't make a change. My EFC also rose by 1200. My dads income was set to $0 and my stepmom's income was dropped a few thousand, yet.. the EFC increased by 69%. I don't know what to do.. I called and they said they couldn't do anything about it, and schools use their own method of calculating EFC (even publics, which I don't believe, since Maryland used the EFC to see how much need I have). I asked if there was someone I could call about my EFC increasing with a decrease in income and no increase in AGI and they said no.</p>

<p>Yes schools can make a change to your FAFSA. They cannot use their own methodology to calculate your FAFSA EFC. But they can change input figures (such as income) if they believe something was not accurately reported originally. Once those changes are made the numbers are run through the EFC formula again producing a new EFC. You can look at your new SAR on the FAFSA website and see what they have changed.</p>

<p>Yes, schools can change your FAFSA. If you know the corrections are not correct, go back into your FAFSA and change them back. The folks at FAFSA can tell you which school changed your account. I'd recommend calling that school's financial aid dept. and seeing why they made the changes.</p>

<p>Holy crap. Another corrections was processed today and my EFC dropped 1100, but it's not as low as it was.
LEAVE MY NUMBERS ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>You can pull up your Student Aid Report and see what changes they made to each FAFSA. If you believe they have made changes in error, let them know. There is a chance you think the numbers submitted by you are correct but truly incorrect...so ask!</p>

<p>When I originally filled out FAFSA, it did not ask for asset info such as checking and savings accounts. EFC is 0 and income below 30K.</p>

<p>I filled out the public college's financial aid form which did ask info re investments, and checkign and savings, etc., and they changed the FAFSA yesterday to include this informatiom but it did not alter the EFC. That is still 0.</p>

<p>I was surprised they did this.</p>

<p>Could be there are some state or college grants that require the information? Our state does not actually give us the option of excluding the asset info even though it is not considered by the EFC formula.</p>

<p>Relax. Crazy things happen. When my daughter was a sophomore she got an email telling her she was no longer receiving her loans...no reason...just no more loans. Her whole financial aid award had been changed. Two days later, it was "rechanged" back to the original. Someone in finaid had keyed in the wrong info.</p>