So what do you do with an empty-nest?

<p>Good for you, NSM! H and I hit the trails at the Stevens Nordic Center last weekend, and we passed a large group of middle-aged adults who were taking a cross country ski class. Must have been a bunch of emptynesters, just like us!</p>

<p>My neighbor is in her 80s & was performing this holidays season at paid gigs at our best hotels! Sheā€™s quite proud of it! :slight_smile: Weā€™re grateful that she has a terrific voice & mostly similar taste in music to ours.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your contributions. I did read and enjoy all the different perspectives/stories that people shared. Great thread!</p>

<p>Daughter, only child, is waiting for college acceptances (got in all schools in the bottom half of her list, waiting for Ivies). We are real close, enjoyed so many activities, travels together, even share several likes and dislikes, etc. Sheā€™s going back home to US for college, while I stay overseas to work (we relocated 5 years ago). Dad is in the US and an educator, daughter is close to him too, so sheā€™ll be supported during school year. </p>

<p>In a few months, after 18 years of active parenting, I will be a single, empty-nester, who lives abroad, daughter will be thousands of miles away. Iā€™m still in denial, canā€™t even think about it :-(</p>

<p>Get /rescue a puppy !!</p>

<p>Five years ago my son was looking forward to going to college in the states. He had spent the years from 4-18 overseas. He left and it was awful for me for awhile. I had two elderly parents to keep me busy. My father died and I brought my mom to live with me. My son visited with his girlfriend who is now his fianc</p>

<p>When my son first went off to college (first child)ā€¦I was so happy for him that it took me until mid September to realize he was gone. Felt sad. However, had two teenage girls in high schoolā€¦and had to concentrate on them and getting them into college. Well, two girls are now in school (I think I danced when I dropped off the last one)ā€¦Hubby and I had three kids in college at the same time and we LOVED being empty nesters. However, something happened. Son graduated school in December and (YIKES!) moved home. Then it dawned on us that the other two kids will be moving home within a few years (DOUBLE YIKES). Our cat refused to be in the same room as sonā€¦since he (cat) was put on a pedastal for years.</p>

<p>So, they fly the coop, but then they come back. Enjoy your freedom while you have it!</p>

<p>Thereā€™s loads to do:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Care for FIL whoā€™s nearly 90 and has Parkinsons.</p></li>
<li><p>Help older girl, now 25 and an attorney, plan her wedding.</p></li>
<li><p>Work, learn modern Greek on Rosetta Stone.</p></li>
<li><p>Continue with art classes and take my painting more seriously.</p></li>
<li><p>Travel with hubby to Greece this summer for our 30th anniversary.</p></li>
<li><p>Go to Washington Capitals hockey games with hubby on week nights.</p></li>
<li><p>Help a young Korean woman learn English.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I miss the oldest whoā€™s lived away at college and law school for seven years, and the younger one is trying to rebuild her academics at CC while she lives at home (had great SATs however; sheā€™s ADD and has trouble with day-to-day performance).</p>

<p>Yes, they call them ā€œboomarangā€ kids and we can only hope that if/when they return it will be a temporary situation while they figure out their next steps and/or save to get a place of their own.</p>

<p>There are lots who go back home after a divorce or bad relationship. Our S is graduating and getting a job 5000 miles from us (2500 miles wasnā€™t far enough, LOL). D is still figuring herself out and plans to graduate next year but hasnā€™t figured out what sheā€™s doing this summer! Will be fascinating to see how the future unfolds.</p>

<p>The non-profit I started when my younger kid started college has kept me plenty busy. I also have lots of extended family to spend time with. Thereā€™s also no shortage of things to volunteer to help with in our community. The non-profits are especially hurting these days.</p>

<p>Canā€™t believe my empty nest is almost here. I have been counting the days. I have many unused travel funds thanks to husbandā€™s unwillingness to fly and cancellation of trips to visit schools after finding the right one. I am looking forward to Seattle for a long trip, and many long weekends as well. Husband can stay land bound. I am off!</p>

<p>How about being a mentor?</p>

<p>I just came upon your post and wonderedā€¦How are you doing a year later? My daughter is a hs senior and i am just now in the the same position and am wondering how it will beā€¦my youngest daughter will be leaving in sept to go away to college and i canā€™t envision what life will be like without a child in the house. So, how did the year go for you?</p>

<p>My only child started her freshman year this past August. There were several of my friends who feared I would completely fall apart as weā€™re very close. However, sheā€™s so happy, that although I miss her terribly, she is in the best place she could be. And my husband retired a year ago so the house isnā€™t empty. My dad lives down the street and still needs a little attention when it comes to taxes and the like. We remodeled some of our attic space and converted it to a studio for my artsy/craftsy projects. And with my H retired, we were able to pick up and go to New Orleans recently to meet friends who were there on business. Life is good and Iā€™m thankful. But I do miss D greatly. Iā€™ve been known to drive out for a visit (3 1/2 hour drive) ā€“ sheā€™ll carve out a chunk of time for me on a Saturday afternoon ā€“ so I get a fix as needed.</p>

<p>Enjoy the time! BE WARNED: They come back! (whether its for a year to save money, or the occasional vacationā€¦with 3 kids in various life stages, at least one of them seems to be around every few wks, even tho they are independent)! People told me they would return more than I thought and they were right. This includes the grad student who is often overseas for research.</p>

<p>My oldest son is a junior in college, my second son is a senior in high school waiting to hear where he will be accepted. My saving grace is my daughter in who will start first grade in the fall!</p>

<p>My second (and last) child is a senior and I have been experiencing so much melancholy the past few days. I thought I would turn back to CC - so helpful throughout the college process - to see if anyone out there was experiencing the same thing. Of course, I found just what I was looking for once again. The original posterā€™s note about the ā€œlastsā€ spoke so clearly to what I am feeling. The last HS athletic event, the last Spring Break (which we are on now!), the last reportsā€¦it all seems so unreal. It was hard when DD left three years ago, as she was my talker, but DS is the one whose activities have filled my schedule and whose absence from the house will be felt so acutely.
I also related to so many posters noting that they just didnā€™t feel done - that they have more to give, and I appreciate all of the suggestions to mentor or foster (whether it be kids or dogs)!
It is so good to read about others having these same emotions. Misery does indeed love company.</p>

<p>Actually, I can really relate to this. Even though I have a 5 year old, it is like 2 separate families. I did all the things with the boys. I know all their friends and all their friendā€™s parents. Now I have to start again and I am feeling really nostalgic for that comforable feeling. And of course most of the parents are younger than me!</p>

<p>I had my D when my S was gone to college, and I started doing pottery when my D. went to college. I did not have any problems when my kids went to college, only initially when I had to figure out what to do. I also work full time and exercise to 2 hours/day. I just needed to fill time after that. D. did it first time, pottery did it second time. We miss both of them, but we have D during summer and on breaks and grandkids for 3 weeks during summer. We do not have dogs/cats or other pets, but I love to take care of inside plants, we have tons of them.</p>

<p>i admire all of you that seem to have filled the void so well. itā€™s not necessarily the ā€œtimeā€ that i have trouble filling. i actually keep very busy. itā€™s my ā€œheartā€ that feels empty so much of the time.</p>

<p>my youngest is on his senior spring breakā€“and i am sad to think that once he is employed (keep your fingers crossed) he wonā€™t have 2-3 weeks around some of the major holidays to spend with us.</p>

<p>itā€™s an empty heavy-hearted feeling. i thought it would be easier with each passing year, but iā€™m afraid it might actually be more difficult.</p>

<p>My D is in her 2nd year at college and as soon as I leave the parking lot at at work and on the weekends the tears flow. I am a single parent and she is my only child so that changes the dynamics a bit. She is also not far from home, but she is becoming more independent, has a boyfriend and doesnā€™t need me. The problem is I canā€™t seem to find anything that interests me at the moment- or the stuff I could do, if I felt motivated, just doesnā€™t remove the sense of grief or loss over not being a mom or not being needed. Iā€™m hoping I am not going to be one the 10% of parents that never recovers from empty nest syndrome.</p>

<p>Iā€™m acting in another show, this time playing a bearded female dwarf in ā€œThe Hobbit.ā€ By 20 years, Iā€™m the oldest person in the cast, which is mainly college students, allowing me to get my fix of being with people my theater major Sā€™s age.</p>

<p>Iā€™m continuing to have a blast with my theatrical career while S continues to enjoy his theater major. Itā€™s fun comparing experiences.</p>