So You're Coming to Tech: 2008 Small Questions Thread

<p>Alright, so the board doesn't get TOO overrun with small, one off type questions and so that people can read the answers easier I'll make this thread. Ask whatever you want about life on campus. I'm hoping for more general questions about Tech and not so much the admissions/transferring type questions.</p>

<p>This is the kind of thread I wanted.
How does the social life like on a campus this large compare to a smaller school?</p>

<p>someone had already started the social scene topic:</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/469776-social-scene.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/469776-social-scene.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I can't really speak for small schools since the only two I've got real experience with are larger, but I do know that at larger schools like Tech people tend to "compartmentalize" a bit. You get several smaller groups of people within the larger group that is VT. So even though there are 20k people here I still see the same people at a lot of parties, just because that is how the friend circles work themselves out. </p>

<p>I really like the social life here; there are a lot of parties and a bus system that runs till 2:30 am on weekends to get you back to campus from those parties.</p>

<p>Thanks for this thread.</p>

<p>Ok my question:</p>

<p>If I choose to go to Tech, I am an engineering major. I heard it is hard, but will I have space to take fun classes like tennis for example?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>They will be time to take classes like that but they generally don't count for any credit.</p>

<p>What are the football games like? Could somebody describe the lottery in "idiot speak" for me?</p>

<p>My son is a freshman this year and loved the football games. My husband and I went down for a weekend and went to game. It was something else-I have never been to a stadium with that many screaming fans.
A couple weeks before scheduled game, you go online to request a ticket through the lottery system. If you are picked, you get one ticket to game. You can not request any particular area to sit, but afterwards I guess there is a ticket swap thing that goes on. Son says it does not matter where you sit-kids stand throughout much of game anyways.
Son got one lottery ticket this year, but attended almost all the home games by buying a ticket someone did not want or going on line for a ticket. Think the most he spent was $75.00.<br>
Chuy, please fill in anything I missed or got wrong.</p>

<p>What is being in VTCC like?</p>

<p>September: You got pretty much everything. The only thing I'd add is that if you want to sit with a group of people who also won lottery tickets you can have everyone give their ticket forms to one person and then that person can go pick up all the tickets, and they'll be next to eachother.</p>

<p>How is transportation at Tech? What I mean is Amtrak or Greyhound to NY? Is it located in Blacksburg, and if so, how far is the train or bus station from campus?</p>

<p>If I go it will be as a cadet.</p>

<p>I am curious about how much "free" time there is. For example on the weekends is it still regimented? Or is it up to the individual? Whats the deal with that?</p>

<p>can you tell if if and when Parents' Weekend 2008 would be? can't seem to find that anywhere thanks</p>

<p>Hi Lucyrama,
They don't call it a Parent Weekend, but their "Family Day" is scheduled for Sat. October 25th. No home football game this Saturday though, so if you want to see a game and can get tickets, you will have to visit another Saturday.</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up on Family Day date septembermom. Do you know which hotels (other than the Hampton Inn in Christiansburg-which is sold out for that night) are good ones to stay in? We stayed at that hotel for our tour/visit and thought it was terrific, but I guess a lot of other parents did too and booked early! Any other suggestions?</p>

<p>Hi KandKsmom,
We always stayed at the Holiday Inn that was right across the street from the campus. Very convenient location. However, since it is so close, I am sure it is also sold out. They were also in the process on renovating it into "condos" to sell for football weekends. I know Christiansburg has many more hotels and the weekend we visited last year happened to be homecoming and the closest we could get was Roanoke. It worked for us since we flew into airport there. Was about 35 minutes ride to campus</p>

<p>thanks for the info like K&Kmom, will try to book something now</p>

<p>About how many hours a week will a typical freshman be in class?</p>

<p>It varies widely (some freshmen take 14 credits, some take 18+) but one credit of class is SUPPOSED to roughly add up to one hour in class. So anywhere from 14-25 hours depending on labs and what not.</p>

<p>I'm an accepted engineering major. If possible, can I get a job as a campus bus driver and manage engineering courses? I am really interested in driving jobs. By the way this is not for freshman year. I'm thinking sophomore year and beyond. Do you need a commercial driver license?</p>