SOAR Dates

<p>Ok, the SOAR dates just came out for incoming freshmen today. Apparently my enrollment has not been registered yet, so I can't look at the sign up forms. Can someone who can look at the times, list what dates are available. I would appreciate it so I can see how it fits in with this summer's schedule. Thanks!</p>

<p>June</p>

<p>4-5
7-8
9-10
10-11
14-15
15-16
16-17
17-18
22-23
23-24
24-25
25-26
28-29
30-1</p>

<p>July
7-8
8-9
12-13
13-14
14-15
15-16
19-20
20-21
21-22
22-23
26-27
27-28
28-29
29-30</p>

<p>I'd go as early as possible.</p>

<p>Alright sweet thanks turtle. I didn't know they had so many!</p>

<p>I signed up for the first one already, I'm coming all the way from South Florida! I want to make sure I get the classes I want. </p>

<p>And np cryto.</p>

<p>Thanks! We can't get in yet either. Hopefully will be able to register in the next day or two. Son's graduation isn't until June 11th (raindate = 12th) so he really can't get there from VA before the 15th or so. Hope we can get our first or second choice session. Summer is busy and he'd like to get registered as early as possible. It's a bit nerve-racking.</p>

<p>Ok I'm a little ****ed right now. I just talked to my bud on facebook and he said that his friend just tried to sign up and most of June was already filled!!! It's a little unfair to not let students like myself who didn't send in enrollment early enough to not be able to sign up :(</p>

<p>I registered last summer at an early July SOAR. I didn't get all the classes I originally wanted. The majority of you won't either, no matter how early you attend SOAR. My schedule worked out fine in the end, and I had a great first semester. Don't worry about it so much, it's really not that big of a deal.</p>

<p>Thanks for the kind and encouraging words cause we were getting a little stressed about it. I am sure you are right that it will all work out. We are still waiting to have our enrollment deposit (sent on 4/13) confirmed and entered so son can register for SOAR.</p>

<p>It doesn't matter when your SOAR date is--just make sure you take down the # of every parent you meet--I to this day still talk to everyone I met during my SOAR date. Don't let them talk you into "getting in early". The early bird always gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. Stay away from the "Multi-cultural" ones--that's called segregation. You only meet students of your same "kind" who have narrower thinking than you do...so narrow sometimes they FORCE you to think the same way too to be "accepted". Diversity's not always a bad thing--just don't let yourself get flushed through the system or chastised.</p>

<p>If you're from out of town, I hope they still offer Elizabeth Waters as a place to stay. Now it's co-ed but back in 2003 when I was a freshman, it wasn't. It has the BEST views and the biggest dorm rooms. STAY THERE INSTEAD OF A FANCY HOTEL! Don't let your kids rush for anything unless you know they can say NO NO NO NO NO. There's tons of other orgs on campus they can join.</p>

<p>If they can't find an org of their own, all they need is $15 and 3 people and they can start their own org--amongst the 300 we have the UW. :)</p>

<p>Update: Son just got through on Soar (4/21 at 7:15 pm Central time). First available date was July 13/14. We took July 14/15 due to conflict on the 12th (we have to fly from East Coast). We are trying to be hopeful that it will work out, but have to admit it is a bit frustrating and hard to believe that just over 24 hrs after SOAR registration opened, the first date was mid-July. I can't understand how more than half of the incoming class could have already registered given that many kids have yet to even make a final decision. </p>

<p>OK, thanks for the vent. I keep telling myself it will be fine.</p>

<p>Do the SOAR dates always go that fast? </p>

<p>D2's been watching the room selection process for the learning communities and she says they seem to be hardly moving at all. Not much interest in the learning communities? Maybe incoming freshman aren't fully aware that they can select their specific room if they opt for a learning community. It could be that few feel that that's an incentive, though.</p>

<p>Ugh I still can't sign in. I can't believe I have to wait all the way to July now. I'm going to forgot all my math and spanish too haha. They seriously need a new system because this one is not very fair.</p>

<p>Wow, I'm glad I jumped on this within the first couple hours of it being open.</p>

<p>One thing that did cross my mind.... it may make a difference which "school" you are meeting with. Son was doing most of registration himself, but called me in for dates/family calendar. I believe he had to put in his school for advising/registration. Since he is Letters and Sciences, perhaps that is what is full due to the fact that most kids go into that one. Maybe if you are education, nursing, etc... there are still spots in earlier SOAR's?</p>

<p>Good luck to all!</p>

<p>I will be attending July 14-15 too!</p>

<p>They do save classes for all the dates. But the times might not be as desirable.</p>

<p>June 3rd for me ... the UWC transfer session!</p>

<p>travelfun, even if you register for a different school, it doesn't really matter. When they divide you up on the second day, you can go with whatever school you want, not necessarily the one you registered with. The only one that really makes a difference is the School of Music, I believe, but that's because you actually get admitted to the school of music as a freshman.</p>