SOAR - How many students are coming with parents?

<p>Title says it all. We've all seen the school already, and to be candid, as a parent I feel I could live without the parent's program, so it would really be so my son wouldn't have to go out by himself.</p>

<p>We're coming from Boston, so it would mean two plane tickets instead of one, and me having to take time off from work.</p>

<p>Although I'm very comfortable with my son doing this on his own, I don't want him to be the only kid at SOAR without a parent and for him to feel like he's an orphan.</p>

<p>On the other hand, since I don't really need the parent's program, if there are going to be a lot of kids there without parents, and he's going to spend most of his time doing things with them/getting to know them, it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to be there.</p>

<p>So how many of you plan on attending SOAR with your parent/child?</p>

<p>Mine are coming</p>

<p>We are coming, since we are so close to the school.</p>

<p>My husband went with our daughter from NJ but he had not gone with her to visit the first time (or the second visit). He certainly was more worried she would need him than she was worried about it. I do not think he had to be there, and neither does he (and he’s pretty worried, a girl and the first off to school far out of state). She was doing stuff with the girl she shared a room with in the on campus housing and he was kinda a third wheel. She was busy in tests etc. It was a fast trip anyways. Save money, go up for a football weekend.</p>

<p>I think most kids (99%) come with 1 or 2 parents. There is a dinner the first night and the kids sit with their parents.</p>

<p>I completely understand wanting to save money, and I would choose saving money over my child feeling like an orphan for two days.</p>

<p>If I saw a kid with no parent at the dinner, I would invite him/her to sit with me - we Midwesterners are known for being friendly.</p>

<p>The Parents Program is worth attending- even for alumni. You can get cheap dorm lodgings- share a room with your spouse and use the down the hall bathroom, eat breakfast in Res Halls and see the campus. They keep the students and parents separate for most events (and housing) so you don’t get in the way. A lot of parent info so you don’t need to rely on your child for answers. You can consider flying into Chicago and taking a bus to Madison, it could be cheaper. A better time to visit campus than during the move in day. </p>

<p>I don’t know if many parents attend events during the school year- we never considered it. Dorm move in day is a zoo- not a good time to spend time on campus with your student, they have a lot to do then, including an evening house meeting. The UW Parents page on the website will probably be helpful to you so you won’t be clueless.</p>

<p>Since there is only one dinner with parents- followed by separate events- your child won’t be left out without you. The big advantage is the chance to see the campus, learn about things and experience Res Halls so you have a handle on things when your child reports where he’s been and his dorm life. Sons typically don’t volunteer much information- you can get it first hand during SOAR. It is also one way of reminding you why we don’t keep living the college lifestyle forever.</p>

<p>Don’t feel guilty if you don’t go, however. It is his life and better to be able to use the time and money in other ways if you want/need to. UW students by nature tend to be independent- parental involvement limited to paying the bills (at their request) and providing transportation home.</p>

<p>Agreed. Go up for a football weekend. My parents are coming and I am a transfer student. I have already went through the orientation process at a different university and only my dad came. I really did not need him to be there at all.</p>

<p>It is not about the student. Students do fine without their parents.</p>

<p>It is about the parent learning about the campus and university. The students don’t need their parents but the parents can benefit from the first hand knowledge. The question is- does the parent feel physically seeing the campus will help them understand what their child is doing next fall and will it be easier for the parent? Seeing the dorm room and asking any questions with other parents can help parents send their student off. Finding out about security, billing and all sorts of parent things can make it easier to send their child in August with fewer worries. The Parent Program is tailored to parents- very different from the student orientation.</p>

<p>Mine are coming but since we only live 4 hours away, we’re driving.</p>

<p>I’m going alone. I don’t mind at all. It will force me to get to know some other students there. When is your son’s soar?</p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies. Have decided to go. Am taking Wis75’s advice and will fly into Chicago and take a bus to Madison. I’ve made reservations in the dorms for both myself and my son, so won’t be that expensive.</p>

<p>Although I have seen the campus already (we toured last summer) now that we know he’s going there I’ll pay closer attention. Plus, I’m not planning to go back out when he starts in the Fall. Since I anticipate any questions we ask my son about his college experiences once he’s actually there will get a monosyllabic response this is my best chance to get some insight into what his life will be like.</p>

<p>BTW - I do have some experience with the friendliness of Mid-Westerners. When I was going to school in Boston I met a nice girl from Kansas City who was so friendly I ended up marrying her.:)</p>