SOAR question

<p>I can't figure out from the Madison website what placement tests are offered for foreign languages. I see Spanish, French, and German for sure, but are those the only languages for placement tests? The website also says that to continue taking a language, you have to take a placement test. I'm planning on taking Japanese, and I've been learning since I was 10, so I'd like to see if I could place out of a semester or two. Can anyone who's already been to SOAR or knows the answer help me out?</p>

<p>I'm not going to Madison this year but I'm in the same situation. UW-Eau Claire has its own Japanese placement test. (I'm planning to transfer to Madison for fall 2009) The test there is 200 multiple-choice questions (28 of which involve listening) done in 2 hours. I know I'm not speaking for Madison, but I would expect them to have a Japanese test, just because Eau Claire and Madison both belong to the UW System. I'm just not sure what other language tests they have, though.</p>

<p>I hope they have one, especially since you've been learning Japanese since you were 10! Ganbatte kudasai!</p>

<p>I went to SOAR two weeks ago, and I know the Japanese placement test does exist, even though I took Spanish. Ask someone about it when you get there, I believe you have to specifically request it from the Japanese department because it's not as common of a test as Spanish, French, German etc... you should be able to get some retro credits out of it too, make sure you ask though because I'm not entirely sure about that.</p>

<p>Actually, you should call ahead before you go to SOAR, as you might be able to take the test there. They definitely have one, as mentioned previously, but you need to call the department (the East Asian Languages and Literature department) and tell them about your situation, and they should get everything for you.</p>

<p>The</a> University of Wisconsin-Madison Language Institute</p>

<p>Center</a> for the First-Year Experience</p>

<p>And honestly, since you've been studying it since you were ten, I think you'll place much higher than one or two semesters. =P</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I completely forgot about the tests until today, so I'll probably call over there tomorrow to see if I can arrange a test. I hope that's not too late since tomorrow is the day before my placement testing.</p>

<p>And trust me, I know very little Japanese. My first three years of studying were very informal with a different teacher every year. My last four years have been of very simple Japanese with a lot of emphasis on culture. I'd be lucky to skip even one semester. I have been to Japan though, and I hope to go back, maybe even study abroad.</p>