SOAR Registration Open

<p>Just a reminder to everyone- SOAR registration for incoming freshman who have officially enrolled is now open. To register, just go to your My UW and there should be a sidebar on the left that directs you to the correct page. :)</p>

<p>I had heard that if you attend an earlier SOAR, you get first choice of classes and times. Can anyone verify this? I still haven't decided whether or not I will go to UW, but one of my concerns is getting the classes that I want/need. I suppose that I ought to make my decision quickly if I need to register for an early SOAR.</p>

<p>do the dates fill up fast? i sent in my deposit thursday of last week and am not sure when they will confirm it so that I can register.</p>

<p>I have a question about AP credits...I have 3 APs this year which I will be taking next month and I was told scores will be out in mid-late july. but since SOAR is earlier, how are we suppose to register for classes without our AP scores...for example...i was hoping to register for Calc 2 (assuming I get a 3 or above on the calc AP) but when I register they wont know my scores yet, or will they? help me out here guys :)</p>

<p>here is what the FAQ on SOAR says:</p>

<p>Frequently Asked QuestionsReturn to FAQ List</p>

<p>Question: What about my AP credits? How do they factor in?
Answer: APs are evaluated by admissions. Any question regarding APs or college level courses should be directed to the Office of Admissions at 608-262-3961
Categories: Freshmen > Advising
System Transfers > Advising
Transfers > Advising</p>

<p>Last Updated: 3/28/2008
Was this answer helpful? YesNo<br>
Print Answer - Email Answer </p>

<p>Page Footer</p>

<p>Center</a> for the First-Year Experience</p>

<p>Yea I saw that too but it doesnt really answer my question....ill call them and ask tomorrow</p>

<p>let us know what they say... i need to know for psych</p>

<p>Students- sign your parents up for the Parents Program if they are willing. </p>

<p>Try to stay in the on campus dorm- probably Liz Waters again. </p>

<p>They separate the parents from the students in both dorm floors, most meals and activities- no need to worry about them cramping your style. I went to UW and had seen the campus frequently over the years but it was a good experience as a parent. Even though parents can read the SOAR brochure online there is useful information to be gained from attending the session. Gives your parents a way of refreshing their memories of dorm life, relieving worries by getting their questions answered and learning about the campus without getting in your way. The program includes seeing your future dorm, even the private ones- they separate parents from students for the look at a room so you both can ask your own questions without each other in the way.</p>

<p>I called them and this is how it works out...</p>

<p>When you meet an advisor at SOAR you talk to them about the exams you took and how you feel you did. So you basically sign up for classes based on your own predicted score. Than you exchange contact information with the advisor and when the actual scores do become available than you change your schedule around based on that. So for example, lets say I feel like I got a 3+ on my calc AB so I sign up for calc 2 but than if I later find out that I got a 2 on the AP than the advisor will contact you or you contact them (not sure which way) and you will change your schedule based on that, aka you will be placed in calc 1 or something like that. The lady I was talking to told me that 90% of the time the student predictions are accurate and there are no problems with that.</p>

<p>thanks for the info viperm90.</p>

<p>Computer registration is wonderful. You will sign up for your classes at SOAR, but will have no problem with changing your schedule into September (presuming there are openings in the courses you want without time conflicts). If you discover you can't get into a course you contact your advisor and they can bypass the computer's rules. There are humans behind the scene in control, the advisors usually know how to circumvent the idiocy of computers. It is to your advantage to think about the courses you want ahead of your SOAR session, you can use your advisor time to tweak things. The university may be huge with many thousands of students but my experience has been that individuals matter. Do not be intimidated by the stated rules, you see an advisor to make the system work for you, one of their jobs is to make exceptions to them if it helps you get a better course to meet your needs. Most people will have no trouble finding courses that work for them. Remember that you are in charge of your education, the more clear you are in your goals the more an advisor can help you.</p>

<p>We can only register once our deposit has been confirmed, correct? How long did it take for them to confirm other peoples deposits? It has been a week and a half and I haven't heard anything :( I'm guessing there must be flood of confirmations/etc at this time though, so understandable. I just don't want to get too late of a SOAR time!</p>