Social Life at GW?

What is the party scene like at GW? I know GW and the other DC schools aren’t really party schools, but I was wondering what people do for fun. Also, what is it like being gay at GW?

Social life at George Washington is quite different from your normal run of the mill big state school. Because George Washington is in the middle of Washington D.C, campus life at G.W is incredibly vibrant. The foggy bottom campus, for instance, is right next to the world bank and IMF so you’re essentially surrounded by Corporate America. Prestigious internships, prelaw endeavors, acceptances at Ivy League graduate schools and students passing out in Ubers and doing stupid stuff is all the talk…seriously. The thing about G.W social life that really made me fall in love with G.W and choose it over U.Va is that you’re not enclosed within a campus all day. Having an open campus in the middle of one of the world’s most powerful cities certainly isn’t for everyone. You won’t get that huge and pervasive fraternity life like you would at a school such as U.Va but you can instead opt to go bar hopping in D.C… Washington D.C definitely has way more friendly gay bars and just flat out variety IMO. One thing you’ll notice about G.W , too, is that it has a HUGE gay culture. People don’t really care if you’re gay or straight here so much as how intelligent you are and how interesting of a person you are and whether you’re just a fun person to be with.

Also I was at a bar the other night, not a gay bar per se, but a quite nice one and overheard this guy who was a Yale Law grad flirting with this one guy interning at Goldmansachs and they ended up getting a cab. The thing that counts at G.W in terms of social life and having friends is being intelligent, friendly, hardworking and approachable. Also G.W in a lot of ways is honestly like a lazy Ivy League.

@Sassyolonial1994 made some great points about GW culture. My own spin: the party scene at GW is diverse. You can easily find loud and wild frat parties if that’s your thing; there are smaller parties in the dorms that might involve just a room or maybe even a whole hall; there are parties that are more “student organization”-focused and hence a bit tamer; and then there’s anything and everything you can get into off campus, to include bars (when you’re 21 or if you choose to pursue a fake), clubs, or even scoping-out the scene at a different school’s campus.

Since you also asked what people do “for fun,” there are a lot of things people do instead of (or in addition to) “partying.” Within some groups, playing video games until 4am might be the social activity of the week. Other groups might choose to experience all the “tastes of DC” and pick a new restaurant each week. In general, since you’re not confined to a campus in a small town, “fun” can take on a completely different meaning thanks to all that DC has to offer.