Social life at Seton Hall?

My son was accepted and we’re looking for more information on the pre-pandemic social scene. Some people have said it’s a commuter school. He’s very social, loves Big East basketball, and is hoping to attend a school with an active social scene on the weekends. Any input from current students or recent grads is appreciated.

My son sounds exactly like yours in terms of interests (lots of March Madness games on at our house - LOL) and he is also interested in being very social at college. Seton Hall has been high on his list given the proximity to NYC and the areas of business he wants to study but like you, I’ve heard it referred to as a commuter school and have similar concerns. I can’t find much on this forum about Seton Hall but I’m hoping perhaps someone will reply with input.

My son recently visited and decided it was not the right fit for him. Tour guide was nice but other students were not friendly. One group of students actually went out of their way to be obnoxious to the tour guide. It was a very quiet campus for a sunny afternoon. He didn’t get a good vibe but he’s looking for a vibrant social scene where people seem happy to be there. Academics seem very solid and campus is nice. Proximity to NYC a bonus. Good luck helping your son find the right fit.

I really appreciate you sharing this experience and am especially sorry to hear about the encounter with the students. I expect all campuses to be on the quiet side right now but to have obnoxious behavior especially in front of prospective students is so unacceptable. We are taking a tour next week and thankfully have a few other options to look at in addition to SHU. It’s such a hard year for school selection. I wish you luck with your son finding the right school.

We live about 10 miles away, I’ve never seen the campus but some of my kids have. I think it’s pretty commuter heavy. Actually one of my good friend’s son goes there but I don’t even know if he lives on campus. Most of my kids applied as the one commuter school I made them pick in case we had a situation where they couldn’t go away.

Thank you for this input. You are 10 miles away and we are 3,000 miles away (in Calif) so this is more helpful than you know. Even though the scholarship money is very generous at SHU I’m feeling like it might be worth the extra $25K-30K per year for a school like Fordham.

1 Like

Are you planning on visiting Fordham on your trip? My daughter’s ex boyfriend goes there so she would take the bus in to visit, I think it would be better academically and socially.

Yes we are going to visit the surrounding area of Fordham in The Bronx. The campus is closed to outsiders right now so it’s doubtful we will get to “see it” unfortunately. Loyola MD and GWU are the other options and we will visit what we can of those too.

1 Like

Grab some food on Arthur Avenue.

1 Like