Social Life

<p>I feel dumb posting this here, but.....</p>

<p>I'm a freshman at Purdue, and I'm thinking about transferring. I REALLY wanted to go to Purdue, and I really like the school itself, but I'm not very happy socially here. I have friends, but not a lot of "good friends." Some of my friends kind of annoy me, and sometimes I just feel, well, lost. I feel like the school is really cliquey and that it's hard to make new friends. I guess I just need to find my "niche." I feel like it's really hard though, because it seems like people are (no offense) either really nerdy or really stupid partiers. I wanted to come here because I felt like I'd fit in here, but the people I feel like I have more in common with already seemed settled into their little cliques. Do things get better sophomore year, or should I think about transferring? Am I overexaggerating things? The problem is I have NO idea where I would go if I did transfer because I totally wanted to go here....</p>

<p>First off, don't feel dumb posting here! It's a good place to ask this kind of question. I'm a parent to three kids that are in college and a lot of what you experience "trying to find your niche" is common with many freshmen. In fact, one of my kids is at Purdue now and loves it, he is a freshmen. He is an introvert, so I am surprised he wanted to attend such a big school but it's working out well. He might be the nerdy person you talk about, ha! That said, some things he has done along with my suggestions might help you out.</p>

<p>Don't expect necessarily for a friendship to develop with your roommate, be glad if you can simply get along to live together, ha! There are many, many clubs...of course you know that. If you've tried a club and it seems cliquish, move on to another. I think there are like 600+ organizations? Maybe look for one that revolves around a passion or interest you have. Or you could experiment, attend a club or group about something you think you "might" like.</p>

<p>My son has found fun going to the sports complex and doing athletic things there, something he has not done in ages. He ended up even bumping into a few old friends from years ago.</p>

<p>If you are not into working out, swimming, etc. what about your religion? There are many religious groups on campus that have churches, services and activities.</p>

<p>Try going to different locations to work on homework. Like if you are always doing it in your dorm lobby, move to a library or a different lobby in a different building. Expose yourself to new faces and see if you can strike a conversation with someone. My son rarely hangs out with anyone on his floor. He ends up going to different dorms and the above-mentioned athletic complex.</p>

<p>And to answer your question, yes, I do believe it gets better as a sophomore. You'll be much more comfortable with your surroundings and have a better idea of who you, yourself are. All of my kids had some type of "did I pick the right school" feeling at first. Good luck.</p>

<p>If time allows, you might get a small on-campus job. That would get you in a different circle of friends and seeing more people.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice :) I am actually pretty introverted too, but I am hoping I will be more outgoing! I am going to try joining more organizations next year (I am in a few of the bands right now), so hopefully I'll meet new faces who are willing to make new friends!</p>