Social Scene at VTech - can anyone comment?

<p>What is the social scene like? How much drinking goes on? Are there fun things to do for non-drinkers? Do people leave campus and drive out of Blacksburg often on weekends - and where do they go?</p>

<p>myself, i love to party, don't like to drink to get drunk. it's all about meeting new people and sharing great times. great abundance of this at tech. parties can be definitely hit or miss, depending on what crowd you hang with... greek scene is great.</p>

<p>things to do outside of parties-- there are loads of people here. not all of them drink. not all of them party. what do you do instead of these two activities? they probably do the same stuff that you do. (there isn't much in downtown blacksburg except for some stupid shops and some crappy(?) food places (i don't like them myself, too pedestrian))</p>

<p>but i'm probably looking at the downtown situation really narrow-mindedly so don't take my word for it</p>

<p>just adding a point since no one posted so i thought i'd help you out</p>

<p>Theres a lot to do in Blacksburg--especially if you like the outdoors. There are always pick up games on the drill field, nature trails/cascades within a 10min drive, skiing--basically anything you can think of. Fall semester is completely centered around football games on the weekend--which are amazing. Spring semesters are becoming more focused on basketball with our recent success. There is a moderately sized mall within a 5 minute drive from campus (Christiansburg) with stores like American Eagle, Hollister, PacSun and a Movie Theater. There are clubs for basically anything you can think of that are sponsored by the students. The list goes on.... if you have any more specific questions feel free! :-) Gooo Tech!</p>

<p>Thanks, VTEngineer and Laughter. My D is not a very outdoorsy/hiking type, but loves the spirit VTech offers with football & basketball events, etc. Her decision is between Blacksburg & Raleigh. Seems like VT has enough to do to overcome sleepiness of Blacksburg. We are eager to visit again and really see it.</p>

<p>I chose Blacksburg over Raleigh :-) VT >>> NCSU</p>