Social Scene

<p>How intense is the "partying/social scene" at madison. Obviously, I have heard the party school rep/hype, and I am okay with an active/fun social life, but I do also want to work hard before I play hard lol. Just wondering if anyone with knowledge and experience can offer insight. Also, any advice with not getting too caught up in the party scene but still getting the best out of madison. I am delighted to be part of a community with academic excellence, and part of a community that knows how to have fun. Don't think I am just a bum though haha, I really am not. I am just trying to gain some insight.</p>

<p>Also, if possible any thoughts relating greek life?
presence on campus, active or not, fun? anything?
I am considering, however not for sure.</p>

<p>I don’t think that many people get so caught up in the party scene that they fail their classes. It’s a VERY “work-hard-play-hard” culture. Most people study intensely Sunday-Wednesday so that they can party intensely Thursday-Saturday. I don’t exactly know what you’re asking, though. It’s totally possible to get good grades and party hard…that’s what most people do. Just manage your time well. </p>

<p>The party scene is really pretty intense and somewhat dominant, but it’s mostly only on weekends. Everyone else has to pass their classes too.</p>

<p>Greek life is fairly active but it’s only 10% of the student body. So if you’re in Greek life there will be lots to do (although most people in the Greek system also do well academically) but if you’re not it’s not a big deal at all. I was in a sorority last year but I’m dropping it because I really don’t need it. I’d advise you to rush though, you don’t have anything to lose.</p>

<p>FBall4,
My daughter is going to be a junior this year at UW, and she is very much not into the party scene as in the typical drinking/partying stuff. She had no problem finding lots to do that was not related to that. She lived in Chadbourne her first year and it seemed to be a great fit for her. Pretty ‘academic’ vibe, but close knit floors/wings too, and close enough for those who wanted to party to go partake, yet not dominated by it either. There are SO many different opportunities of things to get involved with it is what you make of it.</p>

<p>At the same time as saying that, if I had a kids who had trouble controlling their partying habits when adult supervision is not around, I might be a bit worried. Although I would not say it is common, some kids do have a hard time balancing the school/party ratio. My daughters roommate her freshman year (they picked each-other when only acquaintances through a friend of a friend type of thing - but they knew each-other were not drinkers, and both loved the music scene) had trouble academically purely from being distracted by so much to do, and actually got put on academically probation - and she had been the Valedictorian of her HS. So it can happen, even without the partying. Enjoy yourself, it is a GREAT school.</p>

<p>djd</p>

<p>Likewise my son wasn’t big into that scene. He did tell me he had done some drinking before 21 (we could tell when we let him have wine at home by his tolerance) when I gave my “no drinking and driving” words when he got his car - he’s very sure on that, thank goodness. Breaking rules seems ubiquitous. Those who do need to be aware of consequences- there are occasional reports of those who die, and other bad things. </p>

<p>I find the comment about a sorority interesting- the “really don’t need it” reason. That may be why the Greek scene is so minor on campus- there are so many other ways to enjoy a social life and have friends. You don’t have to worry about finding like minded friends, but be patient the first month or two. It takes time to sort out your lifestyle after trying out many activities and time to get to know people.</p>

<p>If you’re interested in rushing, though, I certainly would - you have nothing to lose. My reasons for dropping my sorority are uncommon and most people really enjoy being Greek. Don’t feel like you have to by any means, but I really recommend it, it’s a good Greek system, it’s just small.</p>

<p>How are parties at UW- Madison? At my old school they were usually big house parties where everyone can just walk in as long as you buy a cup. But I have been to other schools where parties are more exclusive and small where you can only go in if you know the people that live there.</p>

<p>Is UW strict against underage drinking? My past school’s PD would make it an effort to send out undercover police to walk around campus and catch underage drinkers. Is it anything like that at UW?</p>

<p>There are lots of parties like how you described, where you just buy a cup. There are also lots of smaller parties as well. Lots of times you’ll pregame with friends in a smaller environment (like a smaller party, but more low key) and then go out somewhere bigger. It’s also more freshmen at the bigger parties, and then as they move off-campus they have somewhere to have smaller stuff.</p>

<p>UW is not strict against underage drinking, no matter what it says or what people on this board may say. The campus PD doesn’t do too much, it’s more the city cops, but their rule is that they only arrest you/investigate underage drinking if you are causing a disturbance. They will tell you this straight up. When cops break up parties they usually just make everyone leave, with the threat of checking IDs if people don’t comply. The drinking culture on campus is very strong. The cops know everyone’s drinking, they’re only going to take action if someone’s being unsafe or bothering others.</p>

<p>How is drinking in the dorms? Or does it vary too much depending on the RA that you get?</p>

<p>You can totally drink in the dorms and you shouldn’t have too much trouble with the RA. If you are in Sellery/Witte (which I think you are from your other posts) then you won’t have any trouble, I was able to carry alcohol around openly in the halls with my RA present (though I really don’t recommend that…keep all doors closed and locked when you’re drinking!) I also lived in Chadbourne last semester which was a bit stricter and they would go up and down the halls listening for noise and then knock…I did get written up there but my group was known for partying and was kind of loud. Your individual RA doesn’t matter much because they have patrols of different RAs at different times. But yeah I drank most nights in the quietest nerdiest dorm and never had a problem (even with writeups nothing happens to you) and you’ll be just fine…especially if you’re in Sellery or Witte, they don’t care at all.</p>

<p>You drank most nights?</p>

<p>Most weekend nights, lol. Sorry about that</p>

<p>Hey RoxSox, I will be new to UW-Madison and won’t know anyone there. Would you say it would be easy to find a party to go to the first few nights while trying to meet people? Is there like a certain street where people go to when they want to find something going on?</p>

<p>I’m living in Witte and judging by your posts and opinion of others I get the feeling that it’s one of the most outgoing dorms am I correct?</p>

<p>Yeah, I’d hit up the frats your first few nights, go with some people from your floor. That’s Langdon St, not hard to find. You may have good luck or not with getting into stuff.</p>

<p>Witte is a party dorm. I lived there first semester. It was okay, though I moved out midyear because I just happened to make friends in a different dorm. You’ll like it if you’re into partying.</p>

<p>Ochoa, I lived in Witte last year (you’ll love it!). I knew nobody on campus, and the first night I went to three different parties. There are a lot of people at Madison from Wisconsin (surprise!) and on my floor there were a lot of girls who knew upperclassmen. Langdon St. is always good, and College Court is okay, but there are always parties at both places. </p>

<p>As far as the original question, yes, the party scene at Madison is exactly as prevalent as you’ve heard. Like RoxSox said though, it’s very very “work hard play hard”. Once you figure out how to balance the two, you’ll be perfectly fine.</p>

<p>Sorry if this question was already asked?
But as for the social scene the first night/ first week?
Im wondering if I will expect some partying/drinking the first night.</p>

<p>How hard is it to sneak in alcohol on move-in day? I’m predicting my parents will load me up so I won’t have to get any for a while.</p>

<p>I heard it is not hard at all. Keep it in a bag or storage holder that it wont crack in and that you dont plan on opening too much. Seems simple. Where are you staying?</p>

<p>Plenty of social activites after move in- anything sponsored by UW and Res Halls will not involve alcohol for the underage . Why on earth do you need a liquor supply? Underage and an alcoholic already? Poor lifestyle choices if this is the case.</p>

<p>Lol. Don’t go to the things the dorms throw, trust me. Even knocking on doors and meeting people that way (sober or not) is better than that. Plus are you really insinuating that because someone wants to keep a bottle in their room, they’re an alcoholic? I’m sure you know all about the culture of UW and that that is not the case.</p>

<p>Super easy to get alcohol in. No one checks or cares. The RAs might knock on your door if you’re being loud, and obviously don’t carry alcohol in common areas, and you’ll be completely fine.</p>

<p>So roxsox,
what should I expect/do/should do that first night/nights</p>