Some help with my UC GPA?

Hi guys, I’m a rising senior, and I’m panicking over my UC GPA. I manually calculated my UC GPA, and it turned out to be like 4.136. But when I went online, they said it was a lot lower (idk if I was even using it right). Can someone help me confirm my UC capped and weighted GPA? Reminder that honors and APs get one extra point i.e: A=5, B=4, etc.

Course Load a-g + semester grades (all honors courses are UC approved, I am in CA):

Sophomore:
Dance (A/A)
Chem Honors (B/B)
AP Chinese (A/B)
Alg 2/Trig (B/B)
World History (B/A)
World Lit (B/A)

Junior:
Pre-Calc Honors (B/A)
APUSH (B/A)
AP Chem (A/A)
Honors Lit (A/A)
Business (A/A)

I don’t want to go over it but note that you can only count 8 semesters for the extra point.
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/q-and-a/honors/

mmmph. that sucks. thanks for the reminder.

Use this calculator:
http://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc

Capped UC GPA uses 4 Year long or 8 semesters of UC approved Honors/AP classes. UCLA/UCB will also use uncapped UC GPA.

@Gumbymom yeah i figured it out, it’s only 3.95 capped and weighted (no chances anymore at UCB or UCLA) :’( my grandpa died two days before my sophomore year started, and that took a big hit on me emotionally. I’ll just have to find some way to explain this on my app I guess…

@Gumbymom also, when it comes to uncapped UC GPA, UCB/UCLA will look at that in addition to the capped weighted correct?

Yes, UCB/UCLA will also look at uncapped. There is no reason not to apply. GPA and test scores are not the whole application package, EC’s and essays are very important in the admissions process. There is always a chance. Good luck.

Right - you should definitely apply because, a few people do get in with your stats. Do what you can to max out your test scores and be sure to apply broadly.

@NCalRent my uncapped weighted is 4.14. and my SAT score is 2210 (retaking to get at least 2250 in the fall). do I still have a chance at every UC (bar Merced and Riverside)?

With those stats, you should be a strong candidate for all the UCs - even UCB and UCLA. I wouldn’t bother re-taking the SAT again, another 30-40 points won’t make the difference. I maintain my caution that you should apply broadly. People with higher stats get turned away from top UCs every year.