some Questions about VT

<p>Hi, guys. I am currently a freshman at college of william and mary. I am thinking about transfering to VT.
Here are some questions.
1. Is it easy to register for classes?
2.What is the average class size?
3. Do TA teach class?
4. How is the dorm condition? Is it noisy?
5. How is the food?</p>

<p>1) I never did it anywhere else so I can’t compare. You fill out a course request, they give you a schedule, and then you have a while to add/drop classes as seats become available in classes you want. The web interface is easy to use, although you will end up using it quite a bit since course requests tend to not put you in everything you wanted.</p>

<p>2) No clue, and it doesn’t matter. It’s going to vary wildly by major and by class. In general freshman classes are biggest, with some classes having over a few hundred students. Senior classes are the smallest, with some having less than 10 students. So an average number won’t do you much good, due to the high variability in class size. In my experience freshman science classes were the largest, while math/English classes tended to be in the 20-35 person range.</p>

<p>3) I never had one teach a class, although I did have some teach labs and discussion periods.</p>

<p>4) Someone else will have to comment. I graduated 2 years ago and they’ve improved a lot since even then. There are some very nice dorms and there are some very basic dorms. They aren’t particularly noisy although that’ll depend on your neighbors and RA. I definitely suggest dorming for a year, though, and that’s coming from someone who lived in one of the worst ones (at the time. They’ve since renovated it.)</p>

<p>5) Consistently top 3 in the nation for on campus dining. It’s real good. West End is the best dining hall (everything from pasta to pizza to vegetarian to wraps to fresh lobster) and D2 is the more traditional all you can eat type place. There is also a chic-fil-a, pizza hut (personal pan and breadsticks only), and cinnabon on campus on the dining plan, along with a smattering of other dining halls. DX also continues to exist thanks to drunk people.</p>

<p>There are also a ton of great restaraunts off campus. Too many to name, but my favorites were sycamore deli, the cellar, and Rivermill.</p>

<p>First of all I am a parent of a VT student, not a student there, but here is what we know of from our perspective:</p>

<ol>
<li> Never had a problem (4 yrs in) but some of the courses were already registered for by his dept.</li>
<li> Biggest he ever reported was around 100…he just got there early enough to sit in the front and never had any issues with how many others were there behind him…</li>
<li> Never had one for a class, but did have one that assessed some papers and I think he had one work in a lab.</li>
<li> Nice dorms…even the older ones are being refurbished. Several with suite style, Cochrane, New Hall West, Peddrew Yates, Harper we have seen in person. Much nicer than what I expected. He has been so happy with them he has opted to stay on campus throughout.</li>
<li> One of VT’s best attributes is the food. When we go to visit, we usually ask to eat at West End (one of the dining halls) instead of venturing off campus. :slight_smile: Plus, they are adding a new dining hall over on the academic side that should be opening next fall. The only real complaint we heard about from him regarding the school was the long lines for some of the dining halls at meal time. Hopefully this new addition will help with that. </li>
</ol>

<p>Good luck in what you decide.</p>