Some questions on VT

<p>Hi everyone, I have a few questions about Tech, I'm out of state student from New Jersey and VT is my #1 school heading into this whole stressful college process, so even though I have some time, just wanted to see if I could get some input on a few questions about VT.</p>

<p>I hear comments made such as "only go to VT if you're engineering or architecture majors". I want to do Biology with Pre-Med and not that I'm worried I won't get a solid education, but more worried if the cooperation of professors, advisors, and possibilities of research are not only available, but very helpful at VT? I realize that at a large university I'll have to make the effort myself, but just wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with my specific major or classes I'll be in.</p>

<p>The weather can't really be all that bad can it? I mean, last year in NJ we set records for snow, and it got pretty hot in the summer here, so I doubt it would be a problem down at VT, but I saw a dorm room on my visit and it seemed pretty small, so I'm wondering if that just makes the heat or "bad" weather any worse, or makes the dorm situation less comfortable? </p>

<p>Regarding roommates, our tour guide said the housing survey was composed of like 4 questions when choosing a random roommate, is there any way to meet someone at orientation or I know some schools have Facebook pages in order to try and find someone you think you could get a long with instead of relying on a 4 question survey? Not that I consider myself someone hard to get along with, its just having a good roommate would make things a lot better. Because having a bad roommate would definitely make me miss home that would be 8 and a half hours away driving distance.</p>

<p>I know it's a lot, but this college process is getting more and more stressful, so I just wanted to address a few concerns or questions. Any help would be appreciated so thanks a lot!!</p>

<ol>
<li>Is VT only a good school for Engineering and Architecture?</li>
</ol>

<p>Absolutely not. VT has a variety of amazing programs and tons of research. Biology is one of the biggest majors on VT campus. That isn’t saying that they are all Pre-Med, but to be completely honest they probably are. </p>

<p>When I first started at VT, I was a Biology major and Pre-Med. I’ve recently switched to Electrical Engineering and I’m still Pre-Med. I like the way that the university approaches Pre-Health students. There is an office on campus called “Pre-Health Advising.” It focuses on students doing Pre-Med or Pre-Dental. You can find more information on Pre-Health Advising here:</p>

<p>[Health</a> Professions Advising | Career Services | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.career.vt.edu/HealthProfessionsAdvising/Index.html]Health”>http://www.career.vt.edu/HealthProfessionsAdvising/Index.html)</p>

<h2>There is a lot of research. On Facebook I am subscribed to the Virginia Tech page. I usually see at least 4 articles a week on some type of advancement by a Virginia Tech student in Biology or Biomedical Engineering. There are courses you can take where all you do is research with a professor. I wasn’t in the Biology major long, so I’m unsure about professor cooperation, but the professors I did have were very helpful.</h2>

<ol>
<li>What is the weather like?</li>
</ol>

<p>The weather is kinda unpredictable here. I’ve lived in Southwest Virginia my entire life, so I know from experience. Some days it will be 70-80 degrees, while the next day it is near freezing outside. It is normally hot from the start of the semester until about the first of October… then it starts to get a little cold outside on some days. As for snow, you usually don’t see much snow until mid-November. It has been known to hit at the end of October before, but it is usually just flurries or a light dusting. That doesn’t mean that we don’t get some heavy snow down here. It is pretty common to see 6-10 inches of snow fall at least twice a year. Unfortunately VT has 'round-the-clock snow plows, so don’t count on the university getting closed or even delayed unless it is really really bad. </p>

<h2>It does get really cold here. During the winter months, the temperature rarely gets above 40-45 degrees. Since you live in NJ, 40-45 degrees might be a bit warmer than you are used to, but when you are walking across campus from the dorms to the academic side, it gets cold fast. Definitely invest in a good jacket for October-November and a heavy coat for December - February. </h2>

<ol>
<li>What are the dorms like?</li>
</ol>

<p>The dorms are pretty small to be honest. It really depends on what hall you are placed in, although the room sizes don’t vary by that much. What you saw on the website is probably a regular sized room. As for room temperature, it does get pretty hot the first two month of the semester and the last month or so of the Spring semester. The best thing to do is for you to bring a box fan and have your roommate bring one as well. Set one of the fans up in the window and set the other one up on the opposite side of the room so they face each other. This will keep the air circulating and it won’t be so bad. </p>

<h2>I never really had a problem with Winter. My roommate and I still kept two fans running and the windows open even when it was cold outside. It wasn’t hot in the room, but I guess we liked the temperature around 60. I don’t know what your preferences are so you will have to determine what you like the room temperature to be and compromise with your roommate. It never really got cold in our room and you should have a wall heater in your room. It did a nice job of keeping the room at a decent temperature when the temperature was in single digit range. </h2>

<ol>
<li>Roommates</li>
</ol>

<p>From talking to my friends who attend VT and from my own personal experience, most people don’t have any severe problems with their roommate. I’ve only seen one case of where the roommates did not get along and they just relocated one of the roommates. If you have any trouble with the person you are roomed with, you can always complain to your RA and they will do everything they can to help you.</p>

<p>Now to the roommate form:</p>

<p>It asks some very basic questions like “Do you smoke?” and “Do you drink?” It also asks your preference on what dorm you want to be put in. I think you can list 3 dorms on the application. I don’t know if you are guaranteed to get into one of those 3, but they do try. When I applied for on-campus housing, I put Cochrane Hall as my 1st choice and I did get into that hall… so it isn’t impossible to get your first choice.</p>

<p>You mentioned getting to know people at Orientation. I don’t think it is too late to request a roommate at that time as long as you get an early orientation date. I went to orientation last year on the 2nd day and I saw several people make some new friends and ended up switching ID numbers so they could request each other as a roommate. I do know for a fact that that is guaranteed… It actually tells you that on the form, plus two of my friends requested each other and were placed in the same room. At orientation you are placed into a group of around 10 people. I’m not exactly sure if it is done randomly or if you are sorted by your major. There are enough people in each group that you will find someone to talk to and possible become good friends with. If you decide to be roommates, you both have to request each other. Just swap ID and phone numbers and put their ID on the housing application. All of this is done online, so it is hassle-free. </p>

<p>I hope this information has helped better inform you about VT campus.
If you would like to discuss this more, you may add me on Facebook.</p>

<p>[James</a> Waller | Facebook](<a href=“Facebook”>Facebook)</p>

<p>I am freshmen majoring in biology with a pre-med track so if you have any specific questions let me know</p>

<p>1) No. VT also has one of the best Vet programs on this side of the US, but the other programs are well respected as well. There is a new med-school that VT recently opened up as well which can only help the pre-med track. In general pre-med is an absolutely awful major, while bio/chem/etc with a focus on pre-med is good, so keep that in mind wherever you go.</p>

<p>2) If you’re from Jersey the weather won’t be anything new to you. It changes a lot and the wind sucks in the winter (especially walking across the drillfield) but I’m spoiled from SoCal beach weather now and probably wouldn’t have complained so much a year ago. Get two box fans and the dorms are pretty comfortable, especially at night which is the only time you really need them to be. The summer gets really hot but by the time classes start that’s just about over anyway.</p>

<p>Actually now I kind of miss seasons and weather. <em>looks outside and it’s sunny and 75, as always</em> Nevermind, I’m good.</p>

<p>3) The dorms are pretty bad, but there are fewer bad ones than there were back when I was there. Even the unairconditioned dorms (which is where you’ll be freshman year most likely) aren’t THAT bad if you have the box fans. They’re small, you probably won’t have great access to a kitchen and there’ll be some other dude sleeping 10 feet from you but all in all, not too bad.</p>

<p>4) Roommates: You can find your own via facebook/orientation and if you both request eachother you should get eachother. I went random freshman year and it ended up great. It’s really just luck of the draw. Looking up someone in a facebook group probably wouldn’t be a bad idea though, so you could at least find someone that wants to party/etc about as much as you do.</p>

<p>Then again I say that and think about the answers I would have put on a survey had I been given one to find a roommate and then how freshman year actually went… people’s ideas about college change substantially between two days before they move in and two days after. Finding someone still wouldn’t be a bad idea to filter out people that you absolutely wouldn’t get along with, but don’t count on it too much. You might end up being best friends with your roommate (my freshman year roommate and I got along fantastically, hung out through college and still keep in touch) but even if you’re just able to co-exist with them and have your own lives, that’s fine. There are literally thousands of people on campus that you can hang out with, one of them doesn’t necessarily have to be your roommate.</p>

<p>Also relax. You’ll be fine.</p>

<p>You are correct, it is a stressful time, but this too shall pass. My son is a freshman instate, but has met so many people from NJ, PA, and NY so you will not be the lone northeaster.
Dorms are doable,it’s part of the whole experience, but he is looking forward to an apartment next year. His attitude is good about it and he has enjoyed meeting and hanging out with his hallmates.<br>
My son’s roomate is a bio sciences major who intends going on to med school. I don’t think you can go wrong with VT and will most likely find very few if any who do not absolutely love it.</p>

<p>Thank you for everyone’s input and answers! I fell in love with VT when I came to visit, but of course that was in June and as the months go by I’ve thought more about it and haven’t been so sure on going if I’m accepted. A lot of people, whoever they may be have talked to me about it, and the questions I asked are probably the biggest ones that have made me unsure about coming down to Tech, but then again I do have time. I know I want a big school, and I loved the atmosphere and sense of community within the school, I just was unsure if going to a big school would allow me to excel academically. I’m far from a genius, so getting into medical school for me will be a lot of hard work, and I’m not so sure if I need to sacrifice the qualities of a large school that I love, for the attention you can get at a smaller school. </p>

<p>Of course I haven’t even gotten accepted or rejected yet, and will not find out until the spring, but I’d like to have a general idea or narrow my choices down to 2 schools by the time April comes around so the whole month isn’t too crazy. </p>

<p>Right now I’m applying to (in order of preference) Virginia Tech, University of Connecticut, The College of New Jersey, University of Richmond, and Rowan University (a small local state school). There’s just a ton of factors that will be going into this decision and each school has great and different things to offer, so of course I’ll be frequenting this site for any answers to questions that I have, and james2014 and HokieFreshman i’ll definitely take you both up on your offers, I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>