Someone from the Balkans?

<p>C'mon people! Let's come together! I'm from Bulgaria.</p>

<p>Hey! I’m from Macedonia. I think there should be few more neighbors on the site :)</p>

<p>I hope so! Which colleges are you going to apply/have you applied to?</p>

<p>hey. I’m from Romania. :)</p>

<p>Hi, I’m from Romania aswell. Did you apply this year Claudia?</p>

<p>Yes, I did. PM me if you want to chat.</p>

<p>Here I am, as a neighbor of Bulgaria, Turkey. I’m not quite sure but still a part of Turkey is considered in the borders of the Balkans, right?</p>

<p>I think so FURKANK…</p>

<p>Other than introducing lets get this thread going :slight_smile: What is your top choice school? Mine’s Penn <3</p>

<p>clearly Vassar :X</p>

<p>Stanford! ! !</p>

<p>Penn or Brown? </p>

<p>But… people, let’s post our stats too, it was easy for me to find the stats of amercan students, but I wasn’t able to find any of those of international applicants. So… maybe we can chance ourselves too? I’ll begin:</p>

<p>Intended Major : Economics</p>

<p>GPA: 6.00 on a 6.00 scale
Class Rank: 1/168
SAT: (690 - Writing, 660 - Critical Reading, 650 - Math)
SAT II: German - 800 ; Biology M - 740; Literature - 700</p>

<p>Extra Curriculars:
Economist Club 10th, 11th
Business Ethics club 9th, 10th 11th, 12th
Philosophy Club 11th
Teen Team - an organization I founded a few months ago for young people</p>

<p>Awards:
Skills@Work Bulgarian National Competition
Charlemagne Youth Prize - Bulgarian winner</p>

<p>Jobs:
assistant accountant at a big international transport company since July 2007</p>

<p>Female, Bulgarian, applying for financial aid</p>

<p>…</p>

<p>So, folks, what do you think? Does that look good enough for an international student applying to the Ivies? I’m simply wondering where I am comparing to the whole pool of top-scorers that have been preparing for college ever since they were able to walk. And maybe another issue for discussion - what do you think - how well do we, people from the Balkans, stand in the eyes of adcoms?</p>

<p>Oh I wanted to participate at the skills@work D:! I couldn’t though cause the professor in my school who was picking a team only selects students from her class and doesn’t give anyone else a chance :(</p>

<p>will edit with stats in a bit =)</p>

<p>Jasmina, those from the Balkans, especially Bulgaria and Romania have a very good rep at colleges in the US.</p>

<p>Romania isn’t in the Balkans.</p>

<p>I’m perfectly aware of that. I’m using “Balkans” as a wide term.</p>

<p>EDIT: According to wikipedia ( <a href=“http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Balkan_topo_en.jpg[/url]”>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Balkan_topo_en.jpg&lt;/a&gt; ), some parts of it are.</p>

<p>You’re using Balkans as a general term to refer to countries… not in the Balkans? That makes no sense. It might if the respective countries were culturally or linguistically tied to the Balkans, Romania is not. Southeastern Europe would be a more appropriate term.</p>

<p>Only 6% of Romania is inside the peninsular, that hardly qualifies it as Balkan.</p>

<p>Despite the geographical classification, can’t we just include Romania in our discussion; after all, I believe that considering the distance between our part of the world and the US, 400km further north or south cannot obscure the fact that Romania is our neighbor.</p>

<p>“The term “The Balkans” covers not only those countries which lie within the boundaries of the “Balkan Peninsula”, but may also include Croatia, Slovenia, and Romania.[2] Slovenia, which was part of Yugoslavia from 1919 to 1991, lies north of the Danube-Sava line and therefore outside the Peninsula, but prior to 1991 the whole of Yugoslavia was considered to be part of the Balkans.[3] The father of the term “The Balkans” August Zeune defined it in 1808 to describe areas that remained under Turkish rule after 1699.”</p>

<p>Wikipedia</p>

<p>Certainly Jasmina.</p>

<p>Kulix13, you’re using a subjective and therefore inaccurate encyclopedia quote to support your argument. That can only hint as to your ability when it comes to reasoned argument.</p>