Sometimes Its The Little Things

<p>DH and I are in Merida, yucatan, Mexico. DH is wearing his “A” baseball hat as we’re walking around town… Car passes us on one way street going opposite direction when we hear “Alabama, Alabama” turning I see guy hanging out of window and we both yell “ROll TIDE” in unison. Loved it!</p>

<p>Tonight my husband is taking me out to a nice dinner for our 22nd wedding aniversary. A little bird told me I will receive a new wedding ring tableside. Wow! What could I possibly counter with?</p>

<p>Tonight, DH will receive his first 'BAMA cap tableside…It is already wrapped in a smallish giftbag :wink: ROLL TIDE!</p>

<p>Congrats!!!</p>

<p>Awesome, TXArchitect. Congratulations!</p>

<p>Speaking of Texas, I was in a store in Austin today, wearing a fleece with a discreet Alabama script A on it. A very tall, very fit man approached me and, with a hint of disdain, said, “Alabama, huh?”</p>

<p>“Roll Tide,” I replied cheerfully.</p>

<p>“Not really,” he retorted, a bit put off.</p>

<p>“A&M?” I queried.</p>

<p>“Yup.”</p>

<p>And from there we had the nicest conversation, with me praising the way the Aggies gigged the Tide in Tuscaloosa, he literally expressing fear for Johnny Football’s health and safety when 'Bama seeks its revenge in College Station next year. </p>

<p>I love it when intense rivalry is paired with mutual respect.</p>

<p>I too have had many conversations with Aggies that started with “Johnny earned that Heisman” and ended with a “Gig 'em Roll Tide”…</p>

<p>Both teams (and fans) CLASS ACTS</p>

<p>FYI guys:</p>

<p>When you buy a surprise wedding ring-upgrade for your wife TWENTY-TWO years after you were married…</p>

<p>Buying the SAME SIZE for her as you did the first time is not always going to work out. Just sayin’</p>

<p>lol. RTR</p>

<p>Sorry if this seems extremely ignorant, but I’m curious. For those of us not in the know, what is a “roll tide” and what does it mean?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Earlier this week I was at the local Super Target one night doing the weekly grocery buying and was wearing my black fleece with a small “A”. Passed a gentleman wearing a Crimson Bama sweatshirt and gave him a Roll Tide. He answered back with the greatest Alabama accent with a big ol loud and happy Roll Tide. We ended up having a quick conversation about my husbands birthplace (Birmingham), family hometown (Gadsden), where else DH lived in Bama (Dothan) and of course our lovely D going to Bama next year.</p>

<p>Yesterday DH was sporting one of his “A” ball caps doing some last minute Christmas shopping and was being helped by a man from Auburn and were amused they had the same name. They discovered they have daughters with the same name and interest. </p>

<p>Looking at Christmas lights last night there was a house in Highland Park with the biggest “A” flag I’ve ever seen flying out front. </p>

<p>Congrats TXArchitect!<br>
What area of Texas are you in? We are in the Dallas area. D will be attending the get together next week for future Bama students here in the area.</p>

<p>kierans, here ya go: [ALABAMA</a> CRIMSON TIDE - University of Alabama Official Athletic Site - Traditions](<a href=“http://www.rolltide.com/trads/why-crimson.html]ALABAMA”>http://www.rolltide.com/trads/why-crimson.html)</p>

<p>Thanks. So, to “give someone a Roll Tide” just means to say the words “Roll Tide?” Is there a gesture or something that goes along with it? I love the school spirit that it all represents. I just don’t think we have something like that in the North.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1347259-roll-tide-multi-purpose-phrase.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1347259-roll-tide-multi-purpose-phrase.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If one is standing close and one gives a warm smile with one’s enthusiastic “Roll Tide” then one is often given a High-Five concurrent with the return “Roll Tide”</p>

<p>Especially if one holds one’s hand up and towards one’s fellow Tidelist.</p>

<p>^^^And then there’s this variation on that theme. I attended the Dallas Cowboys vs New Orleans Saints game yesterday, wearing my apparently-provocative Alabama fleece. As I walked to my seat I passed a cluster of men wearing Saints jerseys.</p>

<p>“Hey, Alabama,” one of them shouted.</p>

<p>“Roll Tide,” I replied.</p>

<p>“F that #%!&,” he barked, before breaking into a big smile and adding, “But I gotta give y’all a high 5.”</p>

<p>We slapped hands and as I walked away these guys hooted, “LSU all the way, baby!”</p>

<p>In the spirit of Christmas I said nothing more, leaving these fine gents to revel in their shared delusion. :)</p>

<p>Today out shopping and at the local mall at DSW Shoes and my youngest D spotted this little girl about 3 years old and said, “Mom, that little girl is wearing a pink Alabama sweatshirt”. I saw it and it just said “Alabama” and could have simply been a souviner from visiting anywhere in Bama. Then turned the corner and saw mom wearing a houndstooth script “A” hat and said, “Roll Tide”. She ripped her head around at the same time letting out a big ol happy “ROLL TIDE!”. Then the little 4 year old girl with them that was not sporting Bama attire said “Whool Thide” :slight_smile: </p>

<p>BTW, there was a pair of houndstooth pumps at DSW on the clearance rack. I did NOT purchase them :wink: Target does have a really cute pair of houndstooth rainboots that I purchased D for Christmas</p>