Son receiving bad advice on UM

<p>My son decided to go to UM. He is getting a nice scholarship and was admitted to a dual degree honors program. Yet his favorite teachers are putting down UM and advising him to go to a higher ranked liberal arts school that was his second choice. He's now researching the other school and is a bit down about UM, which he loved when he visited. I'm going to sit down with him and go over the pros and cons of both and let him look at the course catalogues of both schools and have him write to the dual degree program director for more information. Hes now saying Miami is a huge party school, because that's what he's hearing. I want him to make a decision based on the facts and where he feels more comfortable. The money is a factor but not a deal breaker. He knows Miami has a great marine science program but isn't 100 percent sure he wants to pursue it( the dual degree program is in marine geology). The other school also has a good marine science program but not much for undergrads. Any advice?</p>

<p>If he is interested in biology/marine biology/aquatic sciences, you’d be hard-pressed to find many better schools than UM. </p>

<p>UM is a party school, just like USC is a party school, or just like Vanderbilt is a party school. That doesn’t mean the academics aren’t also strong, however. UM is definitely no longer “SunTanU” and many students find that out the hard way when they fail their classes fall semester of freshmen year.</p>

<p>It’s amazing to me that his teachers are putting down UM. Kids, sure. I get that (although I don’t support that either). But teachers? Anyway, your son will have no issue finding friends at UM that are like him, and academically, UM is a very strong school. Party school? Sure, every college is a party school (with the exception of a few). I have 2 kids, one at UM and one at an Ivy. The kids at my older D’s school party just as hard (and as much) as they do at UM. In fact, my D at Miami doesn’t drink at all. One kid, sure. But there are tons like her. Your son should make the right decision for him, but basing a decision off of an old reputation is not advisable. My D is a sophomore, and she passed up some highly ranked schools to attend the U, and she absolutely loves it.</p>

<p>My son was accepted and is going to attend UM. He is also interested in Marine Science. My impression is Marine Science is a pretty demanding program, and while I’m sure the kids have their share of fun, I strongly doubt that they are partying all the time. If you look at the curriculum, it looks pretty tough.Your son should go to the school that feels right for him , not what teachers or US News says are the “best” schools. My son was accepted at bigger name schools ,but Miami felt like the best fit.</p>

<p>Miami is a work-hard, play-hard school. You see the same kids partying on Friday night that you see in the library all day on Sunday. People get their stuff done (and academically, kids here do a lot – it is in fact, demanding) but they also have their share of fun. It’s Miami; it attracts bright kids who like to get out and have fun, though not everyone here does but they still find their niche just as much and are just as content.</p>

<p>If you’re looking into anything related to marine science or the like, UM is the place to be - It’s ranked one of the top marine science programs in the nation (world?).</p>

<p>My D is passing on two higher ranked schools to go to UM. (By the way, UM is no slouch!!!) She does not drink or party. She is a very high-stats student who is passionately involved in school activities and has won awards and recognition at the state level. I have no qualms at all about sending her to UM, in fact I think it is an excellent fit. </p>

<p>I think your son’s teachers are ill-informed and are giving your son poor advice. Shame on them.</p>

<p>The U is clearly one of those schools on the way up. The incentives that kids are receiving now will not last many years as the demand expands. This is Vanderbilt 30 years ago. You are getting a deal, take advantage of it, especially if marine science is the interest. There is no place on the planet that compares to what is available at UM. The government funding for research in this one school is quite large, and they sit next door to key government facilities on Virginia Key. The new hurricane simulation machine will be unique, and the Dean has a new ‘helicoptur’ at his disposal. Galapagos for semester abroad? Its really unbelievable they give away any scholarships. This isn’t the U of 30 on 30 any more, and never will be again.</p>

<p>First, tell the teacher that unless he/she plans on writing tuition checks for your son, then he/she needs to keep her G** D*** opinions to him/herself.</p>

<p>Second, since you mention Marine Sciences, point out to anyone and everyone that your son has been accepted into the Honors program at the University that is the “MIT” of undergrad and graduate Marine Sciences. No small liberal arts school can match Miami on that front.</p>

<p>Third, kids party everywhere; how much your son does or doesn’t party depends on him. My son wasn’t a big partier yet he had no trouble having a great time at Miami as well as making lifelong friends.</p>

<p>Fourth, living well is the best revenge. Son1 graduated from ‘The U’ 5 years ago as a Marine Sciences/Biology double major. He had the opportunity to got to “more prestigious” schools fresh out of high school. There were even parents who implied we were making a mistake “letting” him go there. Nothing tasted so sweet as telling them about our son’s latest globe-trotting adventure and how he had a Marine Sciences job upon graduation while they had to tell us how ‘wonderful’ it was having their unemployed kids move back home. (Yes, in case you’re wondering, revenge is a dish best served cold).</p>

<p>Fifth, Miami was the perfect place for our son. It afforded him the freedom and opportunities to find and explore those things that truly mattered to him intellectually and professionally. By the time he graduated he’d had numerous research trips to the Galapagos, Bahamas, Central America and Panama. He now has a career doing exactly what he dreamed of. The school doesn’t make the student, the student makes themselves by taking advantage of the opportunities the school offers.</p>

<p>Sixth, remind that teacher that his/her opinions, based on old stereotypes, are worthless and in fact harmful to students who can benefit from a place like The U. In fact if he/she feels compelled to continue playing from an old record, you might feel compelled to go to his/her boss and file a complaint.</p>

<p>So ends the rant.</p>

<p>It’s pretty irresponsible for teacher’s to bash UM based on misinformed, outdated beliefs. Even if those teachers were encouraging him to go to higher ranked schools, I seriously doubt any of the other options were better for marine biology than UM is. You also have to consider where UM will be in 5 years once your son has graduated with a UM degree. I wouldn’t be surprised to see UM in the top 30-35 on USNWR by that time.</p>

<p>Actually UM is very strong in any biological study. I know many researchers at UM, and you will be amazed at what goes on. I was able to secure an internship to friend’s daughter to study a new breast cancer medicine. Talking about cancer medicine, do you know that UM doctors just got a new cancer drug approved by the FDA? That they are doing studies in all areas of stem cell research to cure paralysis, Alzheimer’s disease and ALS? Their marine biology program is one of the best in the Nation. On top of that Florida offers on of the two best marine ecosystems in the world The Everglades and the Atlantic Ocean.</p>

<p>We recently had a similar experience with a teacher. My D got a coveted spot at tippy top University that was “the dream school.” Unfortunately, we came to the agreement as a family that a $240K education was completely out of reach and unreasonable. When my D shared with her teacher that “Dream U” was too expensive for our family, the teacher said, “Well, when you get in to Dream U, you go. You just go, no matter what it takes.” What a terrible message to send to a child, which is: 1) it’s OK to go deeply in debt for an undergraduate education; 2) I disagree with what your family has determined is best; and 3) clearly your parents aren’t doing right by you.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, that teacher wasn’t a part of all of the kitchen table discussions that happened between my daughter, her Dad and I. She has not done the research on my daughter’s course of study and the disadvantages of Dream U. And, she is not paying the tuition.</p>

<p>Unless specifically asked for their opinion, a teacher should embrace a family’s decision (which may have been quite difficult and not arrived at lightly) and celebrate the student’s accomplishments and exciting future which lies ahead–whatever and wherever it may be.</p>

<p>By the way, rather than being upset with us, my D now thinks her teacher is nuts! And, frankly, upon further reflection we truly believe that at The U my D will get twice the opportunities for half the price and it has now become “the dream school.”</p>

<p>Thanks for all the helpful responses. I agree with all. I will let my son read them. He is a teenager and it helps to hear it from others rather than his mom. I told him his teacher should pay the difference, since he said the extra money for the other school is worth it! I did my homework on UM including talking to one of my former graduate school professors ( I have an MA from UM) about the current students and curriculum. She said the best programs at UM are as good as the best at top ranked schools and the students are much stronger overall than they were years ago. The only negative expressed was that some programs are not as rigorous, but that can be said of just about any university.</p>

<p>Any large research university is a “party school”. Many liberal arts colleges are “party schools” too. Dartmouth is consistently ranked one of the best schools for greek life. Let’s face it, college involves partying. Whether you participate or not is the question (also if it’s avoidable or not). If you don’t want any partying, go to BYU.</p>

<p>@vinceh. That was a great post. You nailed it.Do you feel that the job opportunities are still as plentiful as when your son graduated? I spoke to the Dean at the Singer weekend, and he said Marine Science kids from Miami can go “anywhere”.We received a card from Miami detailing the experiences of a Marine Science kid who graduated last year. He went to China, Vietnam,Bali, Galapagos and the Spanish Mediterranean. He is now doing research and working on a Ph.D. He couldn’t have had a better experience.
As far as the party atmosphere goes, there’s certainly nothing wrong with having the option of a lively social life if desired. Go on College Confidential UC San Diego, the other school which is strong in Marine Science. The kids are constantly complaining about the lack of social life, They call the school UCSD- University California Socially Dead.</p>

<p>I can’t really comment on the job opportunities today, though I’ll point out that when my son graduated in December '08 the economy was in a heck of a lot worse shape than it is today.</p>

<p>Also, President Shalala is seriously trying to change the notion that the University of Miami is a party school and from what I’ve heard she’s been doing a lot to improve the school. She seems very involved with her school and really wants to make it the best school in the country.</p>

<p>You don’t need to party if you don’t want to at this school anyway, my friend said there are plenty of people who don’t party at the school and it’s not something you have to do every weekend to have fun. Also, I have to say I think the academics at this school far outweigh the aspect that the school is considered a “party” school, there are so many opportunities at the University of Miami. By the way, this is coming from someone who applied as a transfer and is still deciding whether or not to go. From my knowledge of my first two years in college and from visiting the University of Miami, I think there’s much to be offered at the university and like any university parties will go on, but it doesn’t mean there isn’t anything to do other than that, you can always head out to the city and explore.</p>