Son still has not made a decision -- too late for housing?

<p>Seeing all the threads about housing makes me nervous. :frowning: </p>

<p>DS is <em>still</em> waiting on a last piece of critical information (namely, merit $) from his other school choice, as well as confirmation from UA that heā€™s been admitted to Honors. He didnā€™t submit the Honors application until this past Saturday, so I imagine it will be at least a week or two before we hear about that (it should be automatic based on stats, but one never knows <em>eep</em>). In short, it could be late April before he makes a final decision! What will be left in terms of housing by them, or will he be stuck in the hot/noisy room next to the laundry that nobody else wants? To make matters worse, he wouldnā€™t know anyone at UA and is fairly reserved, so how would he go about finding roommates at that late a date?</p>

<p>Call the HC and see if they can immediately process his honors app. They can do it very quickly upon request.</p>

<p>Your son can/will still get housing. Heā€™ll probably have to choose an empty bed, then later, if he finds roomies on Facebook, then he can request a switch.</p>

<p>Dom-- I had a similar concern and contacted housing. They informed me that in the past they have always been able to accommodate every incoming honors students who wanted honors housing in honors housing. They did tell me that students who want to live with a specific roommate who also doesnā€™t have an early room selection time might have a tough time at this point getting a spot that allows them to room with their preferred roommates, but as long as he is open to being placed in any random open room in the honors dorm, he should be fine. (My older daughter lived in Honors housing her freshman year and there really arenā€™t any bad rooms. Some might appeal more than others due to personal preferences ā€“ being near the laundry, being able to use stairs instead of elevators ā€“ but all the options are good.) He could also try to use Facebook or the roommate finder to find some who already has a room with an open spot and see whether the guys in the room would pull him in instead of taking pot luck when room selection is over for the kids who committed by January 1st. (I believe that the poster Montegut has a room of male upperclassmen looking for a fourth currently.)</p>

<p>Thanks, guys. Iā€™m really trying to step back and let him handle things (and it would serve him right if he did get stuck in a bad room!), but the reassurance is comforting. :slight_smile: If he hasnā€™t heard from Honors by the end of the week, Iā€™ll give them a call.</p>

<p>Dom - My son is OOS and does not personally know anyone either. A good recommendation we received here was to consider Alabama Action, Outdoor Action, Camp 1831, etc. All are before classes begin and would permit early move into dorms. </p>

<p>The ā€œActionsā€ are 1 credit honors, week-long community service prior to school starting. Applications havenā€™t openned up yet, but info is expected next week. [Media</a> & News Links | Honors College](<a href=ā€œSearch Results for ā€œoutdoor action]Mediaā€ ā€“ honors.ua.edu | The University of Alabamaā€>Search Results for ā€œoutdoor actionā€ ā€“ honors.ua.edu | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Camp 1831 is new and is only a few days. [University</a> of Alabama News Ā» Camp 1831 to Introduce UA Students to Traditions, Civic Engagement](<a href=ā€œhttp://uanews.ua.edu/2013/01/camp-1831-to-introduce-ua-students-to-traditions-civic-engagment/]Universityā€>http://uanews.ua.edu/2013/01/camp-1831-to-introduce-ua-students-to-traditions-civic-engagment/)</p>

<p>We are ā€œstronglyā€ urging son to pick one so that he can get his feet wet socially before he has to worry about academics.</p>

<p>I just want to second the point made by Longhaul; my sonā€™s participation in Outdoor Action this past August was a great first step to getting acclimated (literally and physically!) to Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>^^ Agreed. My D said that doing Outdoor Action was one of the best decisions sheā€™s ever made. It was a HUGE help in transitioning to Bama.</p>

<p>OA (haha, now I know what that acronym stands for!) sounds like a great idea. Weā€™ll see what happens.</p>