Son's NMF computer has died

<p>Hi, y’all! DS received NMF laptop last August. From the outset, there were issues: The packaging / backpack did NOT contain his Microsoft Office authorization number, so he had to use the demo version of MS Office all year long (not a huge deal, but a minor annoyance).</p>

<p>Then, right before 2nd-semester finals, the computer died. Just gave up the ghost and died.</p>

<p>We took it to a repair guy the other day. He said it was beyond fixing. The hard drive’s still intact, but something else has gone wrong (all Geek to me!), and it can’t be fixed.</p>

<p>Well, as I mentioned, DS never received ANY documentation with his computer – no authorization numbers, no warranties, nothing – so we do not know what to do or where to go from here. We assume it’s still under warranty, since it’s only a year old, but how can we prove this without documentation?</p>

<p>Last year, when we contacted the lady who gives out the NMF computers to find out what we should do about activating MS Office, she kind of threw the ball back in our court and told us to go to the UA IT team. But now it’s a question of getting a replacement for the entire PC under warranty…presumably the IT folks would not be able to help with that??</p>

<p>I assume this must have happened before; computers do die sometimes. :wink: If so, does anyone know how to resolve it? We do not want to simply write off a $1,500 computer, which was part of DS’s scholarship package. We would like to get it replaced or retooled under the manufacturer’s warranty if possible. But how??? Any suggestions? Any advice from others who have had this problem?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!!!</p>

<p>Diane</p>

<p>what kind of computer is it, Ladydi?</p>

<p>Bama usually purchases the 3 year warranty with those computers, so I would contact the Honors College (probably Dr. Sharpe since I think he places the orders), and ask if the warranty was purchased for the one’s given last fall.</p>

<p>When my son had a problem with his NMF laptop, Dell sent someone to his dorm and fixed it.</p>

<p>^^ If it is a dell, then go to their website and you can do a live chat with someone that will be able to help you identify the coverage available and how they can help you based on the computer ID numbers on the bottom.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all! Yes, it is a Dell. :)</p>

<p>LadyDi, according to S’s letter (from 2010) regarding his NMF Dell computer, part of the award includes a “three-year parts and labor CompleteCare warranty that includes coverage for accidental damage.” As mom2 advised, I would check with the Honors College first. Under that warranty, at the very least, Dell should either fix it or replace it at no additional cost to you.</p>

<p>I would not mention having had someone look at the computer already, it may have voided the warranty.</p>

<p>I agree with not mentioning that you had someone else look at it because that may void the warranty. </p>

<p>Your son should have rec’d some paperwork…I think Bama puts it in the backpack when you get the laptop. If your son doesn’t remember what he did with it, then the Honors College may know who to call and such.</p>

<p>My D’s NMF Dell laptop (2010) cracked when it was accidentally dropped. She did the online chat with Dell and they were able to look up the computer and the warranty info. When she got home this summer she contacted them again and they sent someone to our home to replace the cracked parts free of charge. They were very easy to deal with!</p>

<p>I don’t suppose this warranty includes loss of the computer, does it? My daughter unfortunately left hers in her suitcase when she checked it at the Greyhound Bus terminal, and it was stolen right out of her bag. She learned a lesson that day!</p>

<p>Awe man, downtimer!! What year was it?? Is there a chance it has the lojack system on it? Dell pushes that as part.of the warranty. If it did, there is a chance is may be replaced or found. Never had to use that service, so I am not much help there. Used the complete care service on my sons laptops.for many years now!</p>

<p>No, warranties don’t usually cover loss/stolen because the concern would be that people would lie and say a computer was lost to get a new one. </p>

<p>Do check to see if it had lojack on it.</p>

<p>When did this happen?</p>

<p>Your home insurance may cover some of it.</p>

<p>mom2ck, thanks for the tip re not mentioning having had the guy look at it.</p>

<p>We have no paperwork at all. None. There was nothing in the backpack except the computer. That has been a problem from the get-go, as DS could not activate his MS Office (no authorization number available).</p>

<p>downtimer, how horrible!! That kind of thing always scares me about Greyhound. That’s one reason why we’ve opted for Amtrak.</p>

<p>Ladydi…were you able to connect with dell and get answers from them?</p>